Ro water tds

Hi there...

I keep lot of tanks, my problem is the ro water...

I have 2 ro system, there is no any problem with filters, just my tap water is ~680 tds!

i get ~ 40 tds ppm in ro water, and the problem is with  crs - cbs tanks...

I use akadama for substrate, but i think in ro there is some kh ... and some gh in there.

I use ss minerals gh +, and i dose to ~128 tds, i tryed in the past , to 150 tds but i i had molting problems..

In the winter when rain a lot it drop  tds to ~ 17ppm.

Any ideas how can i drop the ro tds?

I try with two ro membranes , but there is not any cahnges, it need more psi in water for second membrane.

5 minutes ago, chappy6107 said:

is that all you use is the ro membrane?  you should also add a carbon filter as well.  when filtered properly your ro water should be a tds of 0

tell us what all filters your ro unit includes.

yes
Ro have carbon filter and a prefilter before the membranes... :)

it should be get a tds when you have a normal tds aroun 100-200 tds in tap water, as i said i have ~680tds , its about 24gh 22kh...

Just now, nicpapa said:

yes
Ro have carbon filter and a prefilter before the membranes... :)

try adding a 2nd carbon filter.

mine is set up with a prefilter, 2 carbon filters, ro membrane, and 2 di resin filters.  granted I dont have tap at 680, but my filters are still pumping out 0 tds after 2 years+.  If you did the same, you would get 0 tds, but for a shorter time frame.

1 minute ago, chappy6107 said:

try adding a 2nd carbon filter.

mine is set up with a prefilter, 2 carbon filters, ro membrane, and 2 di resin filters.  granted I dont have tap at 680, but my filters are still pumping out 0 tds after 2 years+.  If you did the same, you would get 0 tds, but for a shorter time frame.

Adding more carbon  filter there is no change in tds...

The di filters can lower it but those  remove gh kh but it replace with something else, its chemical.. and im not sure that its beter for srhimps.

I want to try to find a pump , to put the clean water with 40 tds again in the ro system...

Im not sure that this can work,but maybe it can work .

What tds is your tap water ?

1 hour ago, nicpapa said:

Adding more carbon  filter there is no change in tds...

The di filters can lower it but those  remove gh kh but it replace with something else, its chemical.. and im not sure that its beter for srhimps.

I want to try to find a pump , to put the clean water with 40 tds again in the ro system...

Im not sure that this can work,but maybe it can work .

What tds is your tap water ?

or do it your way boss man.

3 minutes ago, Zima said:

Can you add 2nd stage RO membrane?

I try it but the presure is low for the second... the outpout was the same.

12 hours ago, Zima said:

What kind of RO system you use? Merlin?

I dont know the name, its just 10'' filter and 10"carbon filter.

I spoked to the guy how sell ro systems , the only way is using di resins.

Anyone use them ?

I want the water for crs cbs, other tanks no need to lower tds.

You need to know at least model for buying parts/cartridges.

The GE® Merlin 720 GPD Tankless RO System doesn't have storage tank. But the TDS of the water from this system, usually started from 40 ppi.

Take a look at the picture. 

https://www.freshwatersystems.com/s-118-ge-merlin-720-gpd-tankless-ro-system.aspx

Start using the DI resin is not very good idea (IMHO). Cos usually it's only exchange of Ca+ and Mg+  for Na+.

The molting problems can start not only from water but from food, substrate and etc. 

You can try to test water from _other RO system_ (just ask/buy it from neighbor) with proper TDS, in _one tank_, for spotting a reason of molting problems.

43 minutes ago, Zima said:

Start using the DI resin is not very good idea (IMHO). Cos usually it's only exchange of Ca+ and Mg+  for Na+.

The molting problems can start not only from water but from food, substrate and etc.

I have used an RO/DI unit for ~2 years and have had zero problems.

4 hours ago, Zima said:

You need to know at least model for buying parts/cartridges.

The GE® Merlin 720 GPD Tankless RO System doesn't have storage tank. But the TDS of the water from this system, usually started from 40 ppi.

Take a look at the picture. 

https://www.freshwatersystems.com/s-118-ge-merlin-720-gpd-tankless-ro-system.aspx

You can try to test water from _other RO system_ (just ask/buy it from neighbor) with proper TDS, in _one tank_, for spotting a reason of molting problems.

Mine ro membrane is TFC 150 GPD Ionicore USmotic (made in USA)

The filter and the carbon i dont know the company

http://waterwaves.gr/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=30001

I read in forums that the most people have di at the end stage of ro units.

I dont know what else i can do...

The only think to lower the tds is the di  resins.

So the di it converts ca mg to Na?

4 hours ago, nicpapa said:

So the di it converts ca mg to Na?

Deionized water is a type of purified water with mineral ions (salts) removed. These mineral ions include sodium, calcium, iron, copper, chloride, and bromide. Deionized water is created by taking conventional water and exposing it to electrically charged resins that attract and bind to the salts, removing them from the water.

I get today the di system.,...

Tap is 680 tds ppm, ro i get 36-40 tds and wiht di i get 5 ppm...

I think its very good water for begin mixing salts for crs ...