Method to dissolve Sulawesi 8.5

Hello,

Sorry for my english which may be rough sometimes!

I bought Sulawesi 8.5 for my aquarium and tried to dissolve it by heating but the result was disappointing. I get a conductivity of 120-150 while the result should be 220. And I can see the rest at the bottom of the tank ...

A second method is to use CO2 but I do not know exactly how. What material should I use? I was thinking of using effervescent C02 pellets to put directly in the canisters of osomosed water, but I do not know if I can use the commercial one.

Do you have a simple and effective method to find the theoretical 220 conductivity of Sulawesi 8.5?

Thank you in advance !

Arnaud

It is best to remineralize the water outside the tank.  It is the KH that makes it harder to dissolve.  What I always do is remineralize my RO water outside the tank in 5 gallon buckets.  I then use a powerhead and airstone which will mix it up with no issues.  I let this sit for at least 3 days before adding to the tank.  If you do this I can assure you it will be fully dissolved.  For shrimp tanks you never want to add the minerals directly to the tank but do so ahead of time.  This ensures that the water is off gassed, mixed and aged and that the levels are what you want them to be before adding to the tank.  

Here is a conductivity to tds conversion.  http://www.chemiasoft.com/chemd/TDS

yes u must preper the water outside..

If you keep cardinals go to 7.5 it disolve very easy...

I have two closed  new 8.5 sullawesi botles, i went to 7.5 its easier.

For the 8.5, for the disolve u must use hot water and co2 , after it disolve air pump to remove co2.

Thank you for your answers ! I dissolved outside the aquarium, no worries ;-)

Can I overuse your time and ask you to put a link to what you call
"powerhead" and "airstone" , because I'm not sure if I translate these two words correctly! => I found myself alone.

In any case it's really cool to have people with whom to discuss these techniques!

Thank you !

13 hours ago, Arnaud81 said:

Can I overuse your time and ask you to put a link to what you call "powerhead" and "airstone" , because I'm not sure if I translate these two words correctly! => I found myself alone.

I have these.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YYIHGXS/ref=asc_df_B00YYIHGXS5241197/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395009&creativeASIN=B00YYIHGXS&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167167349658&hvpos=1o6&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14538532208813826843&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9028683&hvtargid=pla-314752789405

1 hour ago, Arnaud81 said:

Thank you for your answer. For CO2, I have to use bottles? If yes, at what rate for a tank of 20 liters? Do I have to use particular airstone to diffuse the CO2 or those of oxygen are sufficient?

What types sullawesi are u keeping?

its preferd pressurised co2, not diy co2.. wiht a good diffuser.

Yes after you add the co2 , you must aerate the water to remove co2 for increase the ph...

Parathelphusa pantherina for crab, 3 currently in the aquarium and they are doing very well even if I wonder about their diet.

After that I will first add the fish (yellow gobi + another species from Lake Matano) and when the aquarium will be stable and my technique developed, Dennerli shrimp.

And for CO2 you have a flow to advise me?

• 2 weeks later...

The system is running! Already 150 micro siemens after 30 minutes of use! I use a brewing pump placed at the bottom to stir salt that tends to settle. The CO2 diffuser is a CO2 nano kit from Blau. I did not put heating, I would see if it is necessary. What is good is that I can produce 20 liters of water at one time!

Finish : 220 !

20171111_114116.jpg

• 3 weeks later...