List of fish compatible with shrimp

Arnaud81

It just depends on what kind of environment you're providing. I've had shrimps that are apparently clever enough to release their shrimplets in dense mats of moss. When there are places like that for them to hide, there are many more fish that just aren't likely to find them.

There are fish like cichlids that in their nature just like to hunt things and incessantly peck around and aren't going to work with shrimp most of the time. But there are many other fish that aren't going to eat a shrimplet unless they just happen to bump into one...so the question becomes whether they will bump into one or not.

Otos are safe. All other fish are a risk. Some more than others but even nano fish can and will take out baby shrimp. It's food chain. Shrimp are bugs. Fish eat bugs. You can mitigate the danger by providing a well scaped tank and choosing fish wisely but you can't eliminate the danger except by doing a shrimp only tank or shrimp and the hobby wide accepted only shrimp safe fish, the oto.

• 5 weeks later...

I have my cherry shrimp with 2 female endlers and a 1 male. They hang out at the top alot but so do the shrimp and they have never been a bother and the shrimp are breeding like mad. Honestly i think the shrimp are eating the endler fry. I also keep 2 female scarlet badis and they are pickers but I have loads so if a couple get picked off thats ok, i dont. I also keep 4 Salt and Pepper cory, Corydoras Habrosus and they never bother any of the shrimp. 

Cholla wood is great for shrimplets. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think it depends on your situation.

If you're just getting started, and these are your first shrimp, then follow the "Oto" rule LOL!

Or, if you're trying to raise shrimp very seriously, and any shrimp death could be a crises, then once again follow the "Oto" rule.

But if you've got a colony started, don't mind loosing a few, and aren't trying to win the world cup for shrimp, then you can keep some fish in with them.  The more moss, plants and other hiding places you have in the tank the better.  Those things give them places to hide.

If you feel that way, then consider rule #2 - "If it can fit in a fishes mouth, it will."

I keep panda cories, threadfin rainbowfish, cardinal tetras, pseudomaguil gertrude ARUIIs and a betta in my 40 gallon breeder with a colony of bloody marys.  Yes, I'm sure I loose some.  But I still have 100s of bloody marys....  And I looove that tank!

All of those species have smaller mouths and/or are pretty non-aggressive (even the beta - he's lazy!)  

So yes it can be done, but you should wait until you have a large enough colony that you don't mind loosing a few.  And then pick smaller or peaceful fish.  Gobies can be fairly assertive, but amusing as all heck.  If you have enough that you could loose a few, then try it!  Just be prepared to change the arrangement if it looks like it might not be working.

:D

• 3 weeks later...

Hello to all !

I'm sorry I did not give any sign of life, I was busy enough!

I found an answer to my question that suited my situation perfectly: Oryzias Woworae and Mugilogobius rexi.

Two small fish that cohabit very well with shrimp and between them, and come from the Sulawesi region, which is the one that I prefer in my aquarium because my crabs come from this region.

So here is my answer to my own question. As Sulawesi shrimps are quite popular, it should interested people.

Currently I have Red Cherry waiting to go to Dennerli and I have no problem with fish or crabs.

Unfortunately the fish have trouble with crabs, which is only partially annoying because the Oryzias breed like guppies ... Hoping that the male become a little less aggresive ... because for a scavenger "opportunistic predator" I find it a bit too pro-active!

Pretty fish!  I've always want to try gobies and the rice fish is very colorful!  It looks like a mini rainbow fish...

I love small schoolers - you can keep a lot more small fish in a tank than you can large ones.  And a schools behavior is so interesting and colorful to watch!

As long as you provide plenty of hiding places like plants and a lot of moss you should be fine with small peaceful schoolers.  You might loose a few babies but in the larger picture the tank will be lovely!  And plenty of shrimp will survive so you'll have a great colony as well.  The key is small, peaceful fish and lots of hiding places.  And of course a larger tank (maybe a 20+ gallon?) is helpful.  It depends upon how many fish you want to keep.  It might help if you keep the shrimp alone in the tank for a couple of months until the colony builds up in numbers so a few lost babies won't matter.  Plus it'll give time for the moss and plants to grow out and provide more cover.

I love my threadfins (which I keep along with shrimp).  They do this wonderful dance!  It's beautiful!

I've been looking at chili raspboras as well.  A pretty micro fish that's really red!

It might help if you keep the shrimp alone in the tank for a couple of months until the colony builds up in numbers so a few lost babies won't matter.  And obviously I wouldn't keep a reeeeaaaly $$$ shrimp with fish...  You know, the kind that you pay a couple of hundered dollars each for LOL!  And you have to match the water parameters to the fish you want to keep.

www.seriouslyfish.com is a great place to get info about different species of fish and the water parameters for them.

www.aqadvisor is a great place to figure out how many fish and shrimp you can keep in a given tank size before you're overstocked.  It's not spot on, but will give you a good idea if the tank is large enough to maintain water quality.  

Yes, the "Oto rule" holds true.  But if you really want a tank with both fish and shrimp it can be done.

:)

It's a little cruel but I test the interactions between my crabs and the rest of the animals with less expensive and similar species.

For example, before integrating Tylomelania from Sulawesi, I introduced Faunus ater which are perfectly identical in terms of morphology (with success elsewhere). Same principle for shrimp, although I already knew it would be fine.

Regarding the typology of the aquarium, I used a branch and I put on some lava stones. This allowed me to create an area with a lot of hiding and shade (especially for crabs). Next door I left an open area for the fish to swim freely.

Regarding fish, crabs are not interested in Rexi while the Oryzias are caught. It's hard to understand the behavior of crabs. I had stones in the unobstructed part and the male (who seems the most aggressive) established his quarters below. I plan to remove these stones so that the territory of crabs and fish are more distinct.

• 1 month later...

I've always want to try gobies

You should try them they are cool.

I keep Bumblebee Gobys with red cherry shrimp, Ok , I keep Bumblebee Gobys and the shrimp are just food for them as they prefer live food

16 hours ago, Crackhead Johny said:

Even with Otos remember you do have options.

The ones on the right do look different in the store (not like a normal oto). The one on the left is nuts. 

That's an oto???  I've never seen one like that....  What kind is it?  I've only had the common ones...  It's beautiful!!

Yeah. I had never seen one like either of those.

The local guy deals in exotics. I'm breeding cory Sterbs( boring), green lasers, and eques (blue corys! he says I'm the world first.. yeah right..) due to him... damn duplicarious refuse to breed. 

That oto is his private collection. though I hope he gets more this month. 

His last batch of those, I could not bribe him out of (I offered 60$ each), because the internet apparently bought them from him. He has a silver arrowana that is actually rainbow (coated in orange and blue) that he refuses to sell (I offered 200$ which is chump change for US legal Asian arrowana colors). I think last time he had more in they were ~30$ each? I might be totally wrong as last time I tried to buy was his personal shipment that was not for sale. 

OK,  I worry about sharing my "guy" but here he is https://www.facebook.com/TamedWaters/

Apparently there is a problem with that link. 

end bit+MN should find him via google. 

I have checked CITES to make sure I'm not buying illegal and he is above board. We had a discussion about L-134s.  A discussion I brought here.

The issue on an ethics level is if you are dealing with far end exotics you are beyond what anyone knows about or would suggest to CITES.

UPDATE: the red fin Otos in the 2nd pic all got sold. I'm still sad the photo didn't show their red fins.

Oh yeah. I forgot to mention with the exotic Otos you are in the 20-30$ range. Kind of like fancy shrimp. I think the red fins were ~15$?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Well, throwing Corydorus Haestus (dwarf corys) in my shrimp tank may not have worked out. 

They seem timid and are smaller than the shrimp but I had ~30-50 visible shrimp when the corys went in and now have ~5 visible. 

I figured I'd do a test run for everyone here.

Looks like "Oto" is still the only acceptable answer.