RODI Waste Water for Neos?

aotf

My RODI unit puts out waste water with the following parameters:

pH (rested for 48hrs): 7.4

kH: 3-4

gH: 5

TDS: 76 ppm

I don't like throwing away all this water and I'm wondering if it would be a terrible idea to use it in my neo tanks. Are there other things in the municipal water supply I should check to make sure I don't kill my tanks?

I already use it for my (potted) plants but they're not thirsty enough!

the thing with municipal water supply is that throughout the year they add chemicals to flush the system.  A different season may call for more or less chemicals and or different chemicals.  Sometimes they announce it sometimes they dont.  This past April - May my municipal water system did a month long stint of adding something.  It caused our water to smell like bleach, then later in the year they did another announcement and the water smelled like sewage for a couple weeks.  The TDS of my tap water throughout the year will vary from the 250's - 600's. 

I can tell you that when I first moved to this area from 2 cities over, I lost lots of shrimp even with proper acclimation as well as some of my fish are not nearly as happy.  I dont trust the tap water to stay consistent enough to be healthy for me much less my shrimp and fish.

On 12/7/2017 at 7:11 AM, chappy6107 said:

the thing with municipal water supply is that throughout the year they add chemicals to flush the system.  A different season may call for more or less chemicals and or different chemicals.  Sometimes they announce it sometimes they dont.  This past April - May my municipal water system did a month long stint of adding something.  It caused our water to smell like bleach, then later in the year they did another announcement and the water smelled like sewage for a couple weeks.  The TDS of my tap water throughout the year will vary from the 250's - 600's. 

I can tell you that when I first moved to this area from 2 cities over, I lost lots of shrimp even with proper acclimation as well as some of my fish are not nearly as happy.  I dont trust the tap water to stay consistent enough to be healthy for me much less my shrimp and fish.

That sounds nasty, I haven't noticed our water being that bad but I've definitely heard from others that our water supply is highly variable (great for shrimp! -_-). I already use tap + Prime for my neos and I've had some luck (getting clutches now and even my tangerine tigers are berrying ok in it) although I can imagine concentrating whatever the city decides to put in the water might not be the best way to go.

18 hours ago, trong said:

I would and do throw it on your lawn

I would totally use it to water my garden if I had that option, I've got all my tanks crammed into my small city apartment with no outdoor space whatsoever. I water my indoor succulents with it but... they don't need that much water. Maybe I need more succulents.

Disclaimer, I have lived in the Bay Area (California) in a mountain town with its own reservoir and in Orange County (California) over the last 7 years. That said, I've kept Neo's in tap water off and on over the years without problem. They're super hardy for the most part (yellows are my nemesis) and those parameters are pretty good actually - even a little fluctuation over the year won't put you in any danger zone in my experience.