Hello from Upstate NY

jd30

Hi-

I've kept freshwater fish since I was 9 (1962) and saltwater off and on since 1981. Big into breeding corys, bettas, angels, livebearers and tetras since the 1980's and then left the hobby in the 2000's for work, etc.  Now I want to restart with caridina and neocaridina on a large scale. I've always been a sponge filter advocate so I appreciate using mattenfilters for shrimp. This looks like the right place to be!

John R (jd30)

Hi Chappy,

Not sure yet.  Just getting back in the aquarium business.  Any reccomendations for an experienced fishkeeper?

John

for neos, pick your favorite color.  the yellows for alot of people seem to be the most finicky

i like blue dreams, blue diamond, greens, fire red cherries, bloody mary's

for cards, I would suggest blue bolts, crs or cbs prior to jumping into the pintos and other TB.

Hi John!  Welcome!  This is a great forum with some very nice people.  They've been so helpful to me.  I'm pretty new to this myself.  I keep one 30 gal planted tank for neos and one amano.  Chappy and others have talked me through a water chemistry problem and I'll soon be ready for a new crop of red cherries! 

Best of luck with your new shrimp adventures!

Sandy

Thanks Chappy and Sandy,

This seems like a great group!  I appreciate the advice.  I am a firm believer in helpful positive posts and working together.  

Chappy, I am thinking about starting out with blue dreams.

John

18 minutes ago, jd30 said:

Sounds good. Thanks!

Chappy,

I know Texas has harder water than upstate NY. What are your parameters for success?

John

26 minutes ago, jd30 said:

Chappy,

I know Texas has harder water than upstate NY. What are your parameters for success?

John

For shrimp, I use remineralized RO/DI water.  kh is 3-4 & gh is 7-8, ph was around 7.5 - 7.6.  no heater.

I could not keep shrimp alive with my tap water.  I suspect there are too many chemicals in my tap water.

Thanks, Chappy.  I thought you would have to use RO and artificially use chemicals to adjust water parameters with such hard water.  I plan to do the same with my water here in upstate NY.

Welcome John! The group seems a bit quiet compared to other times in the past, but if anyone can help your success rate, it is these folks. You found a super group of people with expert experience and great helpful attitudes. Good luck to you.

• 2 weeks later...