Gravel vac with dwarf hair grass carpet?

• 6 months later...
On 12/29/2017 at 7:34 AM, Cheeseball said:

I am going to set up a new tank soon, and I plan to use dwarf hair grass as a carpet. If I do this, how should I vacuum the gravel? Should I just invest in an under gravel filter? Do I need to clean it at all?

Hi Cheeseball,

I would give the UGF a miss as the hair grass roots would most likely grow through the grates of the filter and cause it to clog. It would be a little difficult to clean the substrate without yanking out the plants so I would suggest getting some MTS if you're not adverse to the idea of snails. MTS are pretty useful at keeping the substrate aerated and clean and you wont see them when the lights are on too!

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/28/2017 at 5:34 PM, Cheeseball said:

I am going to set up a new tank soon, and I plan to use dwarf hair grass as a carpet. If I do this, how should I vacuum the gravel? Should I just invest in an under gravel filter? Do I need to clean it at all?

The root system of the dwarf hair grass will pick up the organics from detris breaking down in the substrate. I wouldnt worry about it.