Caring for Red Cherry Shrimp

I've been keeping red cherry shrimp for a couple of months now in an established 35 litre tank. recently I've noticed that their numbers have been dwindling most notably when they moult. 

Over the last few weeks I've been testing the water, the only thing that's been consistent is Ammonia, Nitrate and Nitrite has been at 0pmm.

I've also tested the GH\KH of the water have managed to get it down from over 300pmm to to 200pm, I also have a TDS pen the readings have came down from 250ppm to 135ppm by adding peat to my filter and its help as the PH has gone from 7.6 to 6.6, I've also reduced the tempurture in the tank from 29c to 27c.

But the last few days I've been wondering if it would be worth getting some ADA Amazonia substrate to lower the ph a little more or should I just continue with the peat that's in the filter and maybe adding a little more, I'm also wondering if De-Ionised water (https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/272512807) would be another option since R/O units or distilled water is a little pricey in the UK.

I add mineral stones to all my shrimp tanks to specifically help avoid molting problems. Your water params seem alright for cherries. Peat does the trick just as well as ADA substrate would. It’d be messy to add in to an established tank anyways. You’re dechlorinating your tap right? Other than that, I’d suggest the mineral stones. Just my two cents. Good luck!

Hi DarkSmoggie,

Reading your post, the thing the jumps out to me is all the changing water parameters.  Red Cherry Shrimp should be fine in pH 7.6 water......I don't think you need the peat (will exhaust over time, altering parameters again) or buffering substrate to keep Neos.

Being an established tank, keep parameters stable and future generations should do fine.