My 10 Gallon Shrimp Tank

fireshadow2000

Well this tank has been cycling for approximately 6 months. I have driftwood pieces with some anubias on them. Also have java moss growing on a branch. Few miscellaneous ferns and crypts are scattered throughout the tank. Currently running a diy biological  filter until my new sponge filters come in. It’s a low tech tank. Feel free to ask any questions and PLEASE give any advice. My shrimp are coming next week so look out for pics!

7A615149-80B3-4F4E-9FD6-F9EA7D384EE9.jpeg

That is a biological filter I made based off of one I saw made by another shrimp keeper. It is the top portion of a water bottle with holes clipped at the bottom of it. A PVC pipe goes through the water bottle and it also runs a air pump through the pipe. Once the air is turned on, the water gets pulled through the gravel and pumped out through the top of the PVC pipe because of the suction. I'm not sure how effective it is so I added a sponge filter, but the keeper says it works well for him.

Edit: Looks like wyzazz beat me to it lol

5 hours ago, fireshadow2000 said:

That is a biological filter I made based off of one I saw made by another shrimp keeper. It is the top portion of a water bottle with holes clipped at the bottom of it. A PVC pipe goes through the water bottle and it also runs a air pump through the pipe. Once the air is turned on, the water gets pulled through the gravel and pumped out through the top of the PVC pipe because of the suction. I'm not sure how effective it is so I added a sponge filter, but the keeper says it works well for him.

Edit: Looks like wyzazz beat me to it lol

Interesting, I've never seen that design before (but I bet it's dirt cheap and if it works it works). The gravel looks to be a bit big to be a good filter, a layer of sponge underneath or ceramic rings would probably do the job pretty well. But again, why fix it if it ain't broken.

6 minutes ago, aotf said:

They do make life easier, I'll throw one in the package with the next shipment.  

I had no clue they worked for dripping! And that would be a lifesaver! Thank you.

Quick Update: Cherries are moving all over the tank and foraging. However they seem to be most attracted the corners of the tank. I assume it's because of the algae growth where the two sides meet.

I don't want to alarm you too much but I think that behavior can sometimes be a sign that they are unhappy with the water. I've never seen it myself, only pictures or people mentioning it, so hopefully others can chime in before I get you too worried.

How did the drip acclimation go? What was your process?

5 minutes ago, fireshadow2000 said:

I had an an airline tube with knots in it to slow the flow to 1 drop per second. As of now I’ve had no deaths, and seen at least 5 molts. My weekly eater change is tomorrow 

Good to hear, sounds like the acclimation went well!