Algae?

Kajun_Kong

OK, so hair algae blew up my 7 gal shrimp tank. After a month on the Elevate Shrimp hair killer (last week was also loading Excel) the stuff doubled in size. 

So I finally pulled my 2 cholla fisidens logs and threw them in a 5 gal bucket of water. 

So now how to deal with that? That is a lot of $$$ in fisdens. "Rent" (buy then give back once done) a rhino pleco and leave it alone in an empty tank with the logs (I was told rhino will eat the algae but not the moss)? I'm currently renting a clown loach which I told the LFR I'd give back once it was 18"+ (I guessed this would take ~42 seconds with the amount of snails I have to cleanse). 

Peroxide dip the cholla and allow the fisidens will heal?

There is a little bit of hair left in the tank in the expensive plant (turns red and fluffy with CO2)but I may be able to control it?

You can spray or dip the cholla wood, then add it back to the tank.  Or even use an old toothbrush to manually scrub the algae off of it.  The moss/fissidens is a bit more tricky.  I would pull a small bit to test with the h2o2 treatment first, this way you don't accidentally nuke it if you decide to do a dip.  

You can also try  shortening your light cycle.  I run mine 4 on - 4 off - 4 on.  Algae has a harder time adjusting to a break in your lighting cycle than most plants will.

2 hours ago, Kajun_Kong said:

The tank is under a window..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Move the tank or you will likely battle algae forever.  Not to mention you may have huge temp swings from night to day.  Glass tends to turn light into heat.

Move the tank or you will likely battle algae forever.  Not to mention you may have huge temp swings from night to day.  Glass tends to turn light into heat.

:/ I’ve gotta find somewhere to fight him in!

So I just got back from a 4 day job and I had kept my light off and room blacked out. That algae has now turned orange and weirdly my galaxy rasboras are eating it

44 minutes ago, Kajun_Kong said:

So I just got back from a 4 day job and I had kept my light off and room blacked out. That algae has now turned orange and weirdly my galaxy rasboras are eating it

That's what algae does when it dies.  The fish will eat it, as will shrimp.