shrimp keep dying help!

2 hours ago, MinusInfinity said:

Check your tap to see if there is any nitrates in it. 

I would not use any conditioners, I would age my tap water so that the chlorine can breathe out.

chlorine will but chloramine will not.  It has to be broken down/combined with  tap water conditioner.  Most municipalities now use chloramine vs. chlorine.

34 minutes ago, MinusInfinity said:

Chlorine evaporates in a few hours while Chloramine takes days.

more like weeks which is why it is not practical to age tap water and not use a conditioner, unless the municipality only uses chlorine.  by the time it is safe to use you should have done 2 water changes.

I've recently had this issue too. Newly arrived shrimp would berried up and would just die on me, but none of my other shrimp would. My TDS was also around 400. Since then I've been lowering my TDS, goal is to hit 200 by doing 10% water changes a week and only replacing with RO. Then I'm going to do a massive water change to remove most of the old water from my tank which I think might have a bunch of copper from my pipes and other random things from my well water (which comes out at 350 TDS). Hopefully matching the TDS from the old water and new water helps stabilize the tank a bit. Some of my shrimp are doing fine though, and I have a net positive in shrimp (dying vs born) but I think being berried really stresses out the shrimp, especially at the higher TDS.

my town uses chloramines and using a test kit with just two water I have about 5ppm nitrates. I've been looking into buying an aquafx baracuda ro/di unit and an adapter so I could hook it up in my bathroom and fill up a 5 gallon bucket. then remineralize with salty shrimp gh/kh. if anyone uses these could you tell me how you like them or if not what are you using?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

this is will be my final update on this post. I lost a few more shrimp since my last update and it seemed they all died from molting issues and I'm down to maybe 5 shrimp. I'm going to be removing the remaining shrimp and putting them in the original 20 tall until I can solve this problem and eventually move all my shrimp back to the 20 long. I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who replied and gave advice during this long process. you guys are great!

26 minutes ago, nickquinteros said:

this is will be my final update on this post. I lost a few more shrimp since my last update and it seemed they all died from molting issues and I'm down to maybe 5 shrimp. I'm going to be removing the remaining shrimp and putting them in the original 20 tall until I can solve this problem and eventually move all my shrimp back to the 20 long. I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who replied and gave advice during this long process. you guys are great!

Good luck to you!