Can I make Bloody Mary from Cherries?

Hello everyone!

I kind of messed up when initially starting my shrimp tank....

I have bought cheap $1 cherries and then realized they weren't the BEAUTIFUL deep red like I wanted. So I went out and bought some beautiful fire reds and noticed after a month or two I have a lot of crappy cherries and some nice fires in there.

I would like to know, if I keep continue to cull the crappy cherries out and only keep the beautiful fires, will I eventually get deep red like bloody marys?

Because how would bloody marys start if only we started from crappy red and somehow evolve to better more full red?

You can continue to cull and get darker and darker reds, moving steadily towards Painted Fire Reds from crappy cherries and sakuras as time goes on.  However, bloody mary shrimp are entirely different.  Their deep red comes from their tissue being tinted red, they are a completely different phenotype (maybe that's not the right word) of shrimp and derive their color in a different way.  

3 hours ago, wyzazz said:

You can continue to cull and get darker and darker reds, moving steadily towards Painted Fire Reds from crappy cherries and sakuras as time goes on.  However, bloody mary shrimp are entirely different.  Their deep red comes from their tissue being tinted red, they are a completely different phenotype (maybe that's not the right word) of shrimp and derive their color in a different way.  

Awesome, good info to know! As long as I can get some beautiful fire reds from this would be okay by me!:)

Thanks!

You can definitely work your way back up to really nice reds but it will take you a long time (think multiple subsequent generations of shrimp, so easily 1y+ for a line of PFRs). If that timeline is fine with you, have at it!

If you are planning on culling the ugly shrimp anyway, you can start and cull the ugly cherries you have. Not sure why you want to mix them into your PFR line, that will just make things harder for you. Only let the PFRs breed so you don't even have to deal with their gene pool getting muddy. If you do it that way, you'll have a nice PFR line... tomorrow.

wyzazz is correct, Bloody Marys come from a different line entirely so you'll never get them from cherries (the same way you'll never get a husky by trying to breed chows, despite some superficial resemblances). The name isn't just a description of their color, it implies a certain genealogy.

41 minutes ago, aotf said:

You can definitely work your way back up to really nice reds but it will take you a long time (think multiple subsequent generations of shrimp, so easily 1y+ for a line of PFRs). If that timeline is fine with you, have at it!

If you are planning on culling the ugly shrimp anyway, you can start and cull the ugly cherries you have. Not sure why you want to mix them into your PFR line, that will just make things harder for you. Only let the PFRs breed so you don't even have to deal with their gene pool getting muddy. If you do it that way, you'll have a nice PFR line... tomorrow.

wyzazz is correct, Bloody Marys come from a different line entirely so you'll never get them from cherries (the same way you'll never get a husky by trying to breed chows, despite some superficial resemblances). The name isn't just a description of their color, it implies a certain genealogy.

Awesome! I will start culling all the uglys asap! :D

• 3 weeks later...

yes continue to cull all shrimps which you are'nt wanted inside the aquarium and maybe you can buy even 2 or 3 bloody merry, I'm sure the price has already drop much, here in My city, I can buy bloody merry variant for around $1 each. Hope can get new variant from continue selecting them