Safe Aquarium Plant Ferts

Julie McClain

26 minutes ago, Sandy said:

Chappy,what have you heard about the Seachem line?  Flourish, etc.

I know others have used the flourish Excel in lower doses in their shrimp tanks, but Im not sure about the other seachem products including regular flourish.

I personally dont use anything in my shrimp tanks.

I've used Seachem ferts for a couple years now with no noted issues whatsoever (Flourish, Flourish Trace).  I dose at significantly lower levels than recommended (~10-30%).

I've used the SL-Aqua shrimp-safe fertilizer as well, also with no issues.

Before recommending stuff I think we need to know, What type of plants you have? What type of lighting, Some plants could die if you use  Gluteraldehyde (Flourish Excel).

Are your plants and tank high tech or no tech like mine?

I do not use any ferts on my tanks. I also do not vacuum the substrate, and have Malaysian Trumpet snails

6 foot 100 gallon tank, Live stock, 5 Female Bettas, about 100 Red Cherry Shrimp ( mainly culls from my 2 foot tank ) 1 Adult BN pleco and an unknown number of Trumpet snails.  Lighting BeamWorks Hi lumen 60

2HKR05a.jpg

Every planted tank should have MTS.

PS, Personal rant.

I do not use or recommend the use Gluteraldehyde in tanks with live stock. The stuff is toxic my fish are my pets and I pride myself on keeping my tanks in tip top condition without chemicals that could harm them.

Short term (acute) effects: Contact with glutaraldehyde liquid and vapor can severely irritate the eyes, and at higher concentrations burns the skin. Breathing glutaraldehyde can irritate the nose, throat, and respiratory tract, causing coughing and wheezing, nausea, headaches, drowsiness, nosebleeds, and dizzines

Wait till you see my opinions on other chemicals and medication. LOL

20 hours ago, chappy6107 said:

when you use the thriveS do you dose per instructions?

get any algae blooms?

If your tank is not plant heavy, I suggest you dose half of the recommended dosage... In terms of algae, that can come from a number of reason. Any ferts if you over dose your tank, it can result to algae bloom with or without doing proper maintenance...