HMF: Corner filter braces

For those doing diy corner hmf what size thickness and length did you use for the braces? I was planning on using two acrylic braces on each side so the foam stays in place. 1/8 thickness 1" length fine? I have a hmf on a 10 and its just placed in there hasn't shifted much. But this is going to be in a 40 so I'm not sure how difference its going to make. I plan on using swiss tropical foam, thinking about the 30ppi waffle cut.

Sent from my LG-K540 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Pokeshrimp said:

For those doing diy corner hmf what size thickness and length did you use for the braces? I was planning on using two acrylic braces on each side so the foam stays in place. 1/8 thickness 1" length fine? I have a hmf on a 10 and its just placed in there hasn't shifted much. But this is going to be in a 40 so I'm not sure how difference its going to make. I plan on using swiss tropical foam, thinking about the 30ppi waffle cut.

Sent from my LG-K540 using Tapatalk

That is exactly what I used, 1/8" smoked acrylic, 1" wide.  

• 2 months later...

What did you use to attach the acrylic to the glass?  From my understanding sillicone doesn't adhear to acrylic very well.  I believe the corrner HMF kits from Swiss tropicals use glass braces.  Also anyone know how to add a corrner HMF to a running tank?

42 minutes ago, MNCarpenter said:

What did you use to attach the acrylic to the glass?  From my understanding sillicone doesn't adhear to acrylic very well.  I believe the corrner HMF kits from Swiss tropicals use glass braces.  Also anyone know how to add a corrner HMF to a running tank?

I used silicone, it worked fine for me.  I'd not add something like that to a currently running tank, silicone needs 24-48hrs to cure.

I see most people saying RTV 103 or 108 are best but GE I is also said to work but I'm seeing complaints of it turning orange. So any spsfic brand? 

18 minutes ago, MNCarpenter said:

I see most people saying RTV 103 or 108 are best but GE I is also said to work but I'm seeing complaints of it turning orange. So any spsfic brand? 

I use GE Silicone 1, haven't had it turn orange on me yet.  I give it 48 hours to completely cure and then fill the tanks with water.  I use it to reseal tanks and to put in braces for HMF's.

1 hour ago, wyzazz said:

I use GE Silicone 1, haven't had it turn orange on me yet.  I give it 48 hours to completely cure and then fill the tanks with water.  I use it to reseal tanks and to put in braces for HMF's.

Cool most of the reports of the orange coloration were in sumps for reef tanks.  Nice to be able to use something you already have.