Water changes???

No, but doing water changes improperly will.  

Shrimp don't like quick changes in water parameters, especially most Caridina, so as hardy as shrimp are there some things that can upset them rather quickly.  When you're changing water it's best to do 10-15% water changes, match the parameters as closely as you can (Temp, pH, GH, KH, TDS) & drip the water in.  

It's also been explained to me by a very successful breeder here in the U.S. another way.  I'm paraphrasing here...   ...Shrimp NEED water changes to stay strong and healthy.  When you first get your shrimp start out slowly changing out 5-8% of your water every week or two.  Your shrimp are weak and not at their best at this point, you need to be careful with them and not change your parameters too quickly because they are so weak during this time.  Gradually up the frequency and the volume of your water changes.  As you do this your shrimp will become stronger & healthier, you can then continue to up the frequency and volume of your water changes (still trying to match the parameters as closely as you can).  Over time your shrimp will become healthier, stronger & more adaptable to changes in water parameters.  More like Viking Shrimp!

• 5 months later...
On 4/5/2018 at 4:09 AM, wyzazz said:

No, but doing water changes improperly will.  

Shrimp don't like quick changes in water parameters, especially most Caridina, so as hardy as shrimp are there some things that can upset them rather quickly.  When you're changing water it's best to do 10-15% water changes, match the parameters as closely as you can (Temp, pH, GH, KH, TDS) & drip the water in.  

It's also been explained to me by a very successful breeder here in the U.S. another way.  I'm paraphrasing here...   ...Shrimp NEED water changes to stay strong and healthy.  When you first get your shrimp start out slowly changing out 5-8% of your water every week or two.  Your shrimp are weak and not at their best at this point, you need to be careful with them and not change your parameters too quickly because they are so weak during this time.  Gradually up the frequency and the volume of your water changes.  As you do this your shrimp will become stronger & healthier, you can then continue to up the frequency and volume of your water changes (still trying to match the parameters as closely as you can).  Over time your shrimp will become healthier, stronger & more adaptable to changes in water parameters.  More like Viking Shrimp!

I like this idea.

How long would you say from just getting the shrimp to building up more and more bigger quantity water changes would I eventually be able to do 25% WC every week?

Just a rough estimate, obviously noone will know this answer 100%. Just from your experience? 

58 minutes ago, therehere3 said:

I like this idea.

How long would you say from just getting the shrimp to building up more and more bigger quantity water changes would I eventually be able to do 25% WC every week?

Just a rough estimate, obviously noone will know this answer 100%. Just from your experience? 

I personally have never found a reason to do a 25% water change per week. I prefer doing less like 20%  being the most I would change at 1x. The amount of water change could vary depending on your personal preference, type of shrimp, additional tankmates (higher bioload) etc.

I do 10-15% per week depending on the tank.  Never found a reason to do more than that.  I'd increase your frequency rather than the size of the water change if it we're me.  

Increase this slowly over time as you see your shrimp get more active.  Just go by feel, only you know your tanks and can see how they will react.