Starting a Shrimp Tank - In-progress: Cycling Old 20 Gallon Tank

Hi Everyone,

I am new here and fairly new to the world of freshwater shrimps. One month ago, I decided to start-up a shrimp tank using my old 20 gallon aquarium. I started working on DIY stand and buying aquarium items (black sand, sponge filter, cholla wood, alder pines, and almond leaves). Now, the tank is in cycling process. My plan is to have caridinas (Blue Bolts<-definitely and Tigers <- don't know yet which type) and Neocaridinas (red cherries and blue dream). 

I am debating if I should purchase a RO system or just buy distilled/deionized water from somewhere (e.g. Walmart). Capital cost for 20 gallon distilled water should not break my wallet.   However, operating cost might be - water change. I don't know how often I would need to do water change for a 20 gallon shrimp tank. Assuming I would do 25% water change, that will be 5 gallons of water. On the other hand, I do weekly water change for my 75 gallon freshwater tank. My 20 gallon tank is currently have dechlorinated tap water. I don't want to blabber to much. I kindly ask for your opinions and advice. I made few mistakes before being cheap and I want to make things right this time to prevent wasting time and spending more money due to mistakes.

Can I set my parameters slightly towards Caridinas? The reason why I am asking this question is that I also plan to keep either Amanos or Red Nose Pinocio shrimps. Therefore, I will have more Caridinas versus Neocaridinas (in-kind not in-number).

Example parameters:

pH = 6.8 

kH = ~1 

GH = 5

TDS = 150

I am now set to purchase an RO/DI system (I prefer convenience versus low cost if that is the case between RO system and buying RO water). Here's another reason. I know that TDS does not tell you much. It only tells you how much dissolved solids you have in your water. But it does not tell you the fraction of the harmful solids. For instance, you can have 100 ppm TDS (which is preferred in many cases) but 90% of these solids are mercury and copper (supper extreme case). I would rather choose to make sure that my TDS measurement is from calcium and magnesium, and not some stuff I don't know and cannot measure conveniently.

After doing further research, it seems like I need to give up on the Blue Bolts. Most of the shrimps that I want to keep prefer same parameters (Neos, tigers and Amano (or red nose)). I really really like Blue bolts. In fact, I just discovered that one of my LFS' have them in stock and I almost threw my wallet out. It also seems like I won't be buying RO water/system depending on my TDS. Technically, I can keep Blue Bolts in my 2.5 gallon. But I really don't want to go that route. For now, I will be satisfied looking them in my LFS and in pictures online.

Start on neos, than advance to blue bolts. I had a ton die early on me when I first started, but my neo tank is thriving now and haven't seen a death in weeks (knock on wood). Almost a year later, I've went into taiwan bees(few weeks ago), cycled the tank and got the parameters somewhat to where I haven't lost one yet. Mind you blue bolts are expensive, even the s grades. 

My biggest issue is space. I can only keep my 75 Gallons tank and either the 2.5 Gallons or the 20 Gallons tank. I also know that Blue Bolts are expensive. I don't mind about that. I care more if these guys will thrive in their environment. I am keeping my 75 Gallons tank with not so much CO2, not so much plants, not so much fertilizer, not so much of etc). All my freshwater fishes are thriving.