Hello from new york

Pachu

Hey

im new to the forums i have keep fish for more then 10 year and started to keep shrimps 8 months ago  i started with cherry and work my way up to taiwan bee. I currently have 8 tanks 1 with fish 7 with shrimps. Here to learn from you shrimps freaks and share what i have learn in this 8 months.  

I leave you a picture of my shrimp rack tell me what you think. 

Thank you. 

3A8A7EC8-D95C-41A9-8ADB-5A48C4FE58EA.jpeg

Hi @Pachu and welcome to the forum! The rack and tanks look awesome. What kind of shrimp do you have? 

I started keeping shrimp about 8 or 9 months ago as well. I've kept fish since I was a little kid, but I was always interested in the unique pets that I thought very few people would have or even know about. I struggled at first until I figured out their ideal water parameters and how tap water can cause problems depending on the city you're in. Ever since, I've been having success with most of the shrimps that I have. If you have any questions feel free to post it on the forum! There are many friendly and knowledgeable members here on the forum with years of experience in the hobby. 

Thank you @JSak currently i have blue bolt, red wine, black pinto, tangerine tigers CRS, blue dream and red cherry. 

Shrimp are very interesting because of the way they reproduce once you go through the struggle and lern water parameter hahaha like you said, in the other hand with fish is harderd they require so much work you get bored in the middle of the process hahaha. In the little time that i have with shrimp i can’t complain, my pinto tank been very successful this pass 2 months i started with 9 shrimp and now i have more than 50 baby’s and they’re  berried again 🙌🏽 .

1 question

how have you guys manage temp during summer?

@Pachu definitely! Once you get the hang of water parameters down they almost seem to breed without you really having to do much. It's also awesome that you can breed a huge colony in a relatively smaller tank without having the same kind of risks that may come with breeding fish in smaller tanks. Personally, I love the genetic aspect of shrimp breeding/keeping. I'm trying to raise up my colonies for now and then try to create some new mixes in the future. I believe they can be easier to keep than bettas if you take the time to properly set up their tanks.

That's awesome! My pintos actually breed like crazy too. I feel like the mixture of two different shrimps helped to strengthen their genetic line even though they're considered rarer and expensive shrimp. I've heard of people filling up a water bottle then freezing it and putting it in the tank. Then taking it out and repeating the process when the ice melts. A fan blowing directly onto the surface of the water might help a lot too as it creates circulation. Personally, I have AC so I don't have to worry about it too much. Hope that helps!

I just let my temp rise. Last year the water did not go over 24*c So I was happy. If it does this year I am not sure what I am going to do. My place here in Germany has no AC. I am happy I am not living in a state like Texas with no AC. I have lived there and summer is extreamly hot.

@JSak yea i was thinking about giving my fish away to a friend of mine that keeps fish to make their tank a mix tank. Wanna try a few of my taiwan bee with tangerine tiger to see what i get out of them, i want to get some red pintos too maybe i get them from the mix tank when i do mix all the taiwan bee. Planning on having 2 mix tank 1 with taiwan bee only and 2nd with the tiger what do you think about that?

You keep the AC on all day, or you set it to auto mode im not sure about the fan or the frozen bottle since im not home all day and dont want to take any risk with them so im trying to get as much info about going through summer as possible and more now that i have a bunch of babies and berried shrimp. 

Thank you everyone from welcoming me. 

@Pachu I think that'd be awesome! You'd get a mix of different patterns and colors and maybe you'll get an interesting one that you can breed out and get a steady genetic line. I think cross breeding and mixing shrimps, especially caridinas, are one of the things that make this hobby so fun and exciting. 

I usually keep it set to around 72-73 degrees but I believe shrimp can handle pretty high temperatures, although they'll eat more and produce more waste. I haven't heard too many suggestions about cooling down shrimp tanks other than the fan and frozen bottle method. If I think of anything I'll be sure to let you know! 

@JSak yea im trying to get a really cool rare pattern and do exactly as you said it, i think thats the number one reason people get into shrimp. 

Im just going to install the AC to not take any chances. 

@chappy6107 hahaha and i will definitely try the fan method on top on the tank.