Enough Air in aquarium?

Hello everybody!

I am curious, do you guys think this would be enough air in the tank for everybody to have nice rich-oxygen water to be healthy:)

Here is my pictures:

IMG_0318.jpg

IMG_0319.jpg

As you guys can see, it definitely is agitating the surface of the water. Just not sure if it would be enough to be oxygen-rich water.

It definitely has a nice flow inside the tank. Unfortunately, sometimes I think it's TOO much flow, some shrimp get pissed and get pulled in the current :P

Just let me know what you guys think, thanks!

9 hours ago, NickAus said:

Hi

Want my advice? Ditch the power head you don't need it. Connect that filter to an air pump and that's all you need.

I started from the air pump. However, I just feel if you have the filter powered by the air lift. It just doesn't seem like it moves much water around. Really how good is that filtration if it can't move much water around?

42 minutes ago, therehere3 said:

I started from the air pump. However, I just feel if you have the filter powered by the air lift. It just doesn't seem like it moves much water around. Really how good is that filtration if it can't move much water around?

if you get a bigger air pump it will move plenty of water.

From the amount of surface movement I can see in photo 1 I can tell the current is strong and your Guppy is struggling.

I run my 6 foot 100 gallon tank on 2 sponge filters not much bigger than the one you have.

2HKR05a.jpg

I am the king of filter mods

Here's a HOB I modified.

a8BeeY2.jpg

I also once modified a 800 LPH canister filter to work on a 5 gallon cube, then I looked into how filtration works, you really dont need filtration in a planted tank provided you are not overstocked and dont overfeed, the plants should be able to handle the ammonia, a small sponge filter connected to an air pump is all you need.

16 hours ago, NickAus said:

I am the king of filter mods

Here's a HOB I modified.

a8BeeY2.jpg

I also once modified a 800 LPH canister filter to work on a 5 gallon cube, then I looked into how filtration works, you really dont need filtration in a planted tank provided you are not overstocked and dont overfeed, the plants should be able to handle the ammonia, a small sponge filter connected to an air pump is all you need.

lmfao I like that HOB filter xD Looks nice!

That's an 800 lph canister filter on a 5 g Aquael cube, re plumbed and flow restricted to suit a Betta.

Why did I do that? For extra water capacity. I am actually going to modify that 20 l water jug to act as a canister filter It will live in the cabinet under the tank..

fcnrxc.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I can't say enough good things about the jetlifter from Swiss tropicals.  He was at out local aquarium show last month and for what he sells them for it's not worth your time to make a diy one.  If you have the top of the outlet just above the water even with 4 hooked to a fusion 500 air pump(smallest with dual outlets)I can run it at about half output and get good flow in 5 gallon tanks with matten filters.  I turn them up during top offs and after water changes just to stir up the tank a bit but I think I could easily run 3 more tanks off this mid sized pump