Frozen__waffles caridina journal

Frozen__waffles

Been forever since I started, but grad school got in the way and now I’m returning to the forums. My caridina tank is FINALLY at a point where I’m really happy with it. I had a mini-cycle and a dieoff about two months ago, which settled out fairly quickly after picking up some Prime and now my shrimp are happy again. I’m thinking of picking up some more (but I’m also hoping these guys will breed). I was actually fairly surprised how my shrimps survived, they didn’t seem to die inbased on the type because I still have some pintos and such in there. 

I of course forgot to take pictures until after I had fed them, so excuse the specks of food.

FE0D5F4E-4513-4B4D-AE9C-E91C458CB711.jpeg

80809235-9522-4898-B41D-0EDC82FDC578.jpeg

F68E6B89-CF60-4064-BEAD-4E30EA67E076.jpeg

86286EDC-F91F-4C56-8428-7691EEE208A2.jpeg

Hi, welcome!

Whats that mist? co2? Looks like its not getting dissolved enough judging from the surface bubbles...what are your specs btw? substrate, tank, parameters, goals of the tank, etc?

2 hours ago, ILikeAsianBooty said:

Hi, welcome!

Whats that mist? co2? Looks like its not getting dissolved enough judging from the surface bubbles...what are your specs btw? substrate, tank, parameters, goals of the tank, etc?

Fluval 3,

the mist is actually bacter AE that had just started to dissolve (oops). Substrate: fluval stratum, then I have a bit of cholla wood and a piece of coconut with java moss on it.

params: GH is consistently around 5-6, ph approx 6-6.5. I’m not the *best* with checking all the params once it got settled out. I add a couple drops of fluval cycle and seachem prime every two weeks or so to make sure that everything is kept OK. EDIT: also I use nanopure water as I’m a chemist, so I’m not super concerned about TDS levels and the like.

This is a tank that I keep at my work! I work in a small office with ~6 other grad students and 0 windows. One of my students once referred to it as “the cupboard under the stairs” and that was pretty accurate LOL. This little tank is just about the only thing green and living I see somedays other than on my walk in.  I hope to have some shrimps breeding, and I really just want a pretty tank with pretty shrimp :)