Sweet pepper and chilli pepper leaves safe?

• 1 month later...

No idea.

Cull tanks are a great place to test.

Right now I'm seeing what mangosteen leaves do (live tank, not cull). They are like thick leather so I suspect they will last a while.

Dead avocado plant leaves were well loved.

I would say probably not as they are part of the nightshade family.

From Google.

"The Solanaceae (nightshade family) includes such garden favorites as tomatoes, potatoes, and chili and bell peppers, as well as tomatillos and the less-commonly grown potato, chayote squash. These plants produce toxic alkaloids, which are found in the leaves, stems and green unripe fruit."

And to the person above me, I would also be careful with avocado tree leaves. 

"There is a slight amount of persin, a fungicidal toxin similar to a fatty acid, in avocado pits, and the skin, bark, and leaves of the avocado tree."

I don't know at what point it becomes toxic or if it would for shrimp. Persin is oil soluble so it ends up being stored in fat inside of animals and slowly builds up over time.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 12:49 AM, DevinB said:

I would say probably not as they are part of the nightshade family.

From Google.

"The Solanaceae (nightshade family) includes such garden favorites as tomatoes, potatoes, and chili and bell peppers, as well as tomatillos and the less-commonly grown potato, chayote squash. These plants produce toxic alkaloids, which are found in the leaves, stems and green unripe fruit."

And to the person above me, I would also be careful with avocado tree leaves. 

"There is a slight amount of persin, a fungicidal toxin similar to a fatty acid, in avocado pits, and the skin, bark, and leaves of the avocado tree."

I don't know at what point it becomes toxic or if it would for shrimp. Persin is oil soluble so it ends up being stored in fat inside of animals and slowly builds up over time.

I have to call Bunks on the Avocado stuff. Yes they do have persin which is a natural pesticide produced by the plant to Keep Bugs from Eating the Avocado plant. However, inverts are not harmed by this i.e. snails. ect.  I have been feeding my Shrimp Avocado seed powder for some time now six + months and I have had Zero issues. Also I have not killed any of my fish either.