First Shrimp Breeding Tank - Neocaridina

CarissaLynn

INTRODUCTION

I absolutely love the idea of keeping a journal - especially right now when I am still new to aquariums in general and this will be the first time I set up a bit tank with a purpose/goal outside of just wanting a nice looking tank :)

This will mostly be for me but absolutely feel free to join in the journey with me if you'd like and if you notice anything I could be doing better or differently please feel free to let me know - I want to learn and grow and do the absolute best I can for these little shrimp!

I have not decided which Neocaridina I want to breed yet - I currently have bloody mary, cherry and pumpkin in my betta tanks (and actually I currently have 3 baby cherry shrimp 'cause one of my shrimp had shrimplets - I only managed to find 3 so I think my betta found the rest but trying to keep these alive and safe and hopefully raise them up!). I am torn between breeding cherry shrimp since they are so popular I feel like I'd have an easier time building a relationship with a local fish store and selling them and doing a color I really love (like the orange pumpkin, or green jade, or a yellow guy). Not too focused on that just yet as my tank isn't bought/set up yet.

WHERE I'M AT NOW

I have planned out most of the tank, what I am going to buy, and the rough idea of the order I am going to do things in but still researching - I'm trying to not rush this project for the sake of my wallet and just because I want to do everything right. I have decided that I am either going to go a 20L or a 29g, currently waiting for the petco $1 per gallon sale which the employee said will probably be happening next month. I need to buy an aquarium stand - that truthfully is my next important step, no point buying the tank with no where to put it on. I did both decide and already order a corner matten filter - I ordered it to fix a 29g, if I end up doing the 20L I will just have to cut the foam, glass pieces, and PVC down to size which isn't a big deal. Torn between the tank size because 29g would be better if I down the line want to add breeding guppies in the same tank but I am very short so the 20L would probably be better for me in terms of maintaining without needing a step ladder or anything like that lol.

WATER PARAMETERS

I just received my gH and kH test kit in the mail yesterday so was able to test my tap water right out of the sink to get an idea of what I am working with right now. I need to order a TDS tester to know that aspect but my tap as of right now is:

kH: 4   |   gH: 9   |   ammonia: 0ppm   |   nitrites: 0ppm   |   nitrates: 0ppm

NEXT STEPS
The next things on my agenda to do is get a TDS tester and buy/build the aquarium stand so I am ready to go once the petco tank sale hits. I also need to remember to test my pH of my tap water when I get home too.

Will have the corner mattern filter tomorrow so as soon as the sale hits can get that put into place and worry about setting up the rest of the tank after that.

Welcome to the spot! It's good to see you are planning this out. Successful tanks always take time to establish. One word of caution though, if you plan to start breeding them, you'll want to keep the guppies separate. They will feed on baby shrimps. These guys are only 2-3 mm when the mother releases them, so that would be a nice treat for a guppy.... if it can fit into their mouths, they'll eat it. This applies to almost every fish. The only known "shrimp friendly" tankmate is the oto. 

2 minutes ago, madcrafted said:

Welcome to the spot! It's good to see you are planning this out. Successful tanks always take time to establish. One word of caution though, if you plan to start breeding them, you'll want to keep the guppies separate. They will feed on baby shrimps. These guys are only 2-3 mm when the mother releases them, so that would be a nice treat for a guppy.... if it can fit into their mouths, they'll eat it. This applies to almost every fish. The only known "shrimp friendly" tankmate is the oto. 

Thank you so much! I'm really looking forward to this journey :D

Also super appreciate the mention of guppies - I do know that the guppies will eat on the babies (and even their own babies) - if/when I do add guppies I am going to be making sure the tank is heavily heavily planted with a ton of hiding places for baby shrimp and baby guppies and do know that having the guppies will slow the 'survival rate' of the shrimp babies - something I am still thinking on though!

Thank you as well on mentioning the oto too - I wanted to get cory's in there because I love them but started being concerned that if I did guppies and cory's there would just be too many big mouths in one tank - but I think I could do some research and maybe get oto instead just for some extra life in the tank :)