More missing shrimp

I had three cherry shrimp in myten gallon tank and they live with a female Betta and three amano shrimp. They’ve all disappeared. They seemed to be thriving and I came home today just to see they’re all gone. I found the lower half of one but the other two are just gone. They were too big for the Betta to eat and too big for the filter to suck up. Don’t know what’s going on

Parameters? Tank info?

They died (bullying from the betta or bad parameters) and their tankmates had a delicious snack!

Yeah, shrimp eat other shrimp.

Parameters and some tank info would be good, also some background info on whether the shrimp were new to the tank and how long has the tank been set up. For beginners a lot of time shrimp seem to being fine and eating one day and drop dead the next, which makes it kind of hard to determine what are the exact causes. Generally the parameters of the tank, your actions and where the shrimp came from can help us determine. Seeing half a shrimp isn't a good sign, hopefully they are hiding, but if not the amanos and betta can easily make short work of the bodies.  

7 hours ago, aotf said:

Parameters? Tank info?

They died (bullying from the betta or bad parameters) and their tankmates had a delicious snack!

Yeah, shrimp eat other shrimp.

I don’t know my exact parameters as of right now but I know it’s all in the safe range as I do regular water changes and test the water weekly. 

5 hours ago, Revaria said:

Parameters and some tank info would be good, also some background info on whether the shrimp were new to the tank and how long has the tank been set up. For beginners a lot of time shrimp seem to being fine and eating one day and drop dead the next, which makes it kind of hard to determine what are the exact causes. Generally the parameters of the tank, your actions and where the shrimp came from can help us determine. Seeing half a shrimp isn't a good sign, hopefully they are hiding, but if not the amanos and betta can easily make short work of the bodies.  

I had the shrimp for maybe a week and got them from a local pet store. Now that I think about it, all the shrimp I’ve gotten from this store have vanished/died. 

5 hours ago, Sunshineshrimp said:

I don’t know my exact parameters as of right now but I know it’s all in the safe range as I do regular water changes and test the water weekly. 

Are you familiar with the parameters for shrimp?
Shrimp are not fish and are often more particular about the parameters they want. Something that seems "safe" for fish may not be for specific shrimp.
I would urge you to post your parameters when you find out what they are since this might help with future shrimp ventures.

Also, as you're finding out, fish stores tend to be very bad places to pick up shrimp. They're either imported from overseas or bought from a local seller. Either way, they tend not to cater their water specifically towards shrimp, so the shrimp have to deal with moving from their home parameters to fish store parameters (which can be doubly rough if they are shipped from overseas), live there unhappily for a while, then get transferred over to a new set of parameters in the buyer's tank. They don't enjoy this. Many neos have died and will die during that double transfer. The best thing you can do is drip acclimate them very slowly and make sure your tank parameters are exactly where they should be for that specific shrimp.

12 hours ago, Sunshineshrimp said:

I had the shrimp for maybe a week and got them from a local pet store. Now that I think about it, all the shrimp I’ve gotten from this store have vanished/died. 

Aotf makes a very valid point in that a lot of fish stores buy shrimp from oversea areas. The thing is that shrimp can generally tolerate major water changes about once a month for the most part depending on how old they are and whether they are berried. The general rule is the younger the shrimp the better it will adapt. In my experience/ belief once a shrimp enters a major different water parameter it will generally molt, if the shrimp is fresh from overseas it would have molted at the pet store and if it transitioned properly it would still be alive. This causes an issue because once you place that same shrimp within your tank it is too early to molt again and the shrimp will die, not sure if everyone believes in this being the case on why shrimp do poorly from store to our homes, but it is my belief. Like Aotf said generally they don't do well once placed in our tanks. I stopped buying from my local fish stores after having so many deaths and now rely mostly on breeders from this site or on the internet. 

My money is on the betta eating them  or their hiding.

Mine too.

Red Cherry shrimp are hardy, I know, but according to the members on this forum I am doing everything wrong, I feed them fish food, They Live with Bettas and Bumblebee Gobys, I change up to 70% of the water every week, The shrimp that live with the gobys even put up with hard water PH 8, and they still breed so fast its not funny.

These are the shrimp in my Goby tank.

i6BP2Sn.jpg

eny2Fq2.jpg

CrvNpDS.jpg

3 hours ago, Revaria said:

Aotf makes a very valid point in that a lot of fish stores buy shrimp from oversea areas. The thing is that shrimp can generally tolerate major water changes about once a month for the most part depending on how old they are and whether they are berried. The general rule is the younger the shrimp the better it will adapt. In my experience/ belief once a shrimp enters a major different water parameter it will generally molt, if the shrimp is fresh from overseas it would have molted at the pet store and if it transitioned properly it would still be alive. This causes an issue because once you place that same shrimp within your tank it is too early to molt again and the shrimp will die, not sure if everyone believes in this being the case on why shrimp do poorly from store to our homes, but it is my belief. Like Aotf said generally they don't do well once placed in our tanks. I stopped buying from my local fish stores after having so many deaths and now rely mostly on breeders from this site or on the internet. 

What you and AOTF posted about difficulty with import petstore shrimp mirrors the discussion I have in my youtube video about "WHY SHRIMP DIE" ...  which I posted a link to yesterday...

(I personally would be more inclined to think the very sudden disappearance of 3 shrimp has more to do with the betta or the shrimp hiding from the betta" then anything else. Bettas are predators to shrimp!

@Shrimp Life

Hi.

Great tank,Great video and I love the snails. I think more people should keep snails

I think no tank is complete and as clean as it could be without so called " pest snails".  Malaysian Trumpet snails are always the first thing I add to a new tank. I keep Mystery snails and Rams horns because I want to.  To me no snail is a pest.

Just wondering, Have you had snail deaths with NO Planaria or do you remove the snails?  When I first used this product a few years ago I did not know it also killed snails as there is no warning on the packet.

• 2 weeks later...