Changing Tiger Shrimp Params

Reeferjohn

I’m getting some OERBT’s in and want to keep them in caridina params, but the breeder kept them in neo params. Would I be good just drip acclimating them for a couple hours to get them used to the new params or is there anything else I should do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How big of a difference is it? 

Generally speaking, you’ll see losses doing that. Not all immediately but over weeks and months, they’ll die off. Your best bet is a slow transition (spanning weeks). If you do plop them in new conditions from the start, it’s a waiting game to see if they breed before they die. The shrimplets will be much more adapted to the new parameters.

Instead of all that, just buy shrimp raised in the parameters that you want to keep them in. OEBTs are often raised in caridina parameters so that should be easy to find (they’re just expensive, unlike the neo parameter raised OERBTs from a certain someone on this forum).

How big of a difference is it? 

Generally speaking, you’ll see losses doing that. Not all immediately but over weeks and months, they’ll die off. Your best bet is a slow transition (spanning weeks). If you do plop them in new conditions from the start, it’s a waiting game to see if they breed before they die. The shrimplets will be much more adapted to the new parameters.

Instead of all that, just buy shrimp raised in the parameters that you want to keep them in. OEBTs are often raised in caridina parameters so that should be easy to find (they’re just expensive, unlike the neo parameter raised OERBTs from a certain someone on this forum).

I already have them drip acclimating right now, 1 drop per 1.5 seconds. They were in 220 TDS, 3KH and 6GH. 7.6pH

My params are 120 TDS, 5GH, 0KH, 6.3-6.4 pH. Plan on dripping them over several hours

Ah, then best of luck!
If I were you, I would expect some losses and try to keep them well fed (without spiking nitrates) to encourage breeding ASAP.

Ah, then best of luck!
If I were you, I would expect some losses and try to keep them well fed (without spiking nitrates) to encourage breeding ASAP.

Thanks! I had them acclimating for a total of 15 hours and they were all looking good this morning. I put them into the tank before leaving for work so we will see how they are around 7 tonight.

IME, Tiger shrimp (Tangerines, OERBT, OEBT) tend to do well when acclimating as peewee's or juvies.  Just drip them very slowly over 8-12 hours.  As mentioned above, I keep most of mine in Neo parameters but haven't had any issues moving juvies to Caridina tanks when I wanted to.  

IME, Tiger shrimp (Tangerines, OERBT, OEBT) tend to do well when acclimating as peewee's or juvies.  Just drip them very slowly over 8-12 hours.  As mentioned above, I keep most of mine in Neo parameters but haven't had any issues moving juvies to Caridina tanks when I wanted to.  

Yup they’re still doing well so far!