Cycling new tank

Shrimpfoot

I am cycling a new 10 gallon aquarium with ada Amazonia light, using a Hamburg Matten filter with plants already planted including Buce, scarlet temple plant, subwassertang, and 2 other species.  I started off using the fishless cycle, but since week 4 now is week6 my ammonia has been stuck at 0.25 ppm.  I have been doing frequent water changes using half ro half tap water.  I have cholla wood in there along with katapa  leaves alder cones and montmorelinite rocks and tourmaline balls.  Is this normal for ada soil to take this long and I just need to be patient or do I need to try something else.  I added a few endlers last week to see if that would help but no.  Any advice welcome, thanks in advance!

Chris

ph 6.3

kh 0

gh 5-6

tds 147

nitrite 0

ammonia 0.25

nitrate 0-5

temp 72

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2018 at 9:36 AM, Shrimpfoot said:

I am cycling a new 10 gallon aquarium with ada Amazonia light, using a Hamburg Matten filter with plants already planted including Buce, scarlet temple plant, subwassertang, and 2 other species.  I started off using the fishless cycle, but since week 4 now is week6 my ammonia has been stuck at 0.25 ppm.  I have been doing frequent water changes using half ro half tap water.  I have cholla wood in there along with katapa  leaves alder cones and montmorelinite rocks and tourmaline balls.  Is this normal for ada soil to take this long and I just need to be patient or do I need to try something else.  I added a few endlers last week to see if that would help but no.  Any advice welcome, thanks in advance!

Chris

ph 6.3

kh 0

gh 5-6

tds 147

nitrite 0

ammonia 0.25

nitrate 0-5

temp 72

Hey Shrimpfoot,

Any updates on your tank thus far? :) 

Ada recommends to cycle with tap water, well, water with a Kh of atleast 2 to make the cycle go faster. When the soil exhaust the Kh to 0 the cycle will stall dramatically. After the cycle is complete you can change all the water with remineralised RO water. Cycling for a month/month and a half with tap water wont exhaust the aquasoil

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2018 at 12:53 AM, Maurice said:

Ada recommends to cycle with tap water, well, water with a Kh of atleast 2 to make the cycle go faster. When the soil exhaust the Kh to 0 the cycle will stall dramatically. After the cycle is complete you can change all the water with remineralised RO water. Cycling for a month/month and a half with tap water wont exhaust the aquasoil

If the cycle stalls before it finishes cycling due to lack of carbonates in water, what keeps the biological filter from crashing once this tap water is replaced with soft water? Would it not be better to cycle and colonize bacteria that can thrive in softer water to begin with? I never quite understood this. I have personally seen the effects of a substrate (not ADA) exhausting from the use of carbonates during the cycling phase. Shrimp didn't die right away but babies never made it past 3 weeks. This was with taiwan bees, btw. Needless to say, I always cycle with r/o water from day 1 after this issue I had. With the use of Seachem Stability (excellent bacterial strains for soft water), I can have my tanks cycled in 5 weeks, which is just a wee bit longer than it would take in a neo tank with tap water.

Hi Madcrafted,

I am sure that the bacteria in filters just stalls or take much longer to colonise more in softer water with lower Ph, but wont die off.

I personally think why ada recommends using tap water for cycling is to build up as much bacteria in the shortest space of time, thus suggesting using tap water.

Dont get me wrong, you can use ro water to cycle, it will simply just take a lot longer.

Cycling ada with tap water for a month/2 months really wont exhaust the buffer capacity from aquasoil as it is a very strong buffering soil that can last for a good couple of years