How True Bloody Mary Breed?

about 5 hours ago · #1

I searched and found all old articles where keepers claim they don't breed true and its like 70 percent are culls. I seen pictures of offsprings and they were orangish or pale red or like even clear with red veins like colours.
But in those articles i read them talking about that the BM line may improve in future by breeders. So its 2018 and anyone of you keeping them how they breed now? Culling percentage is still high or minimal? Please share your experience. Thanks.

Also if BM breed with chocolate shrimps will the offspring is wild type or red? I read that BM is selective breeding between chocolate and a cherry. Not sure how true this claim is. I have chocolate shrimps and blue dreams with Bloody Mary shrimps. Shall i re home blue dreams and chocolates or if its a good thing if they in the same tank? I just don't want to have wild clear or tan shrimp. Please help. Thanks. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/7/2018 at 11:08 AM, Kashif said:
about 5 hours ago · #1

I searched and found all old articles where keepers claim they don't breed true and its like 70 percent are culls. I seen pictures of offsprings and they were orangish or pale red or like even clear with red veins like colours.
But in those articles i read them talking about that the BM line may improve in future by breeders. So its 2018 and anyone of you keeping them how they breed now? Culling percentage is still high or minimal? Please share your experience. Thanks.

Also if BM breed with chocolate shrimps will the offspring is wild type or red? I read that BM is selective breeding between chocolate and a cherry. Not sure how true this claim is. I have chocolate shrimps and blue dreams with Bloody Mary shrimps. Shall i re home blue dreams and chocolates or if its a good thing if they in the same tank? I just don't want to have wild clear or tan shrimp. Please help. Thanks. 

Hi Kashif,

Welcome to ShrimpSpot! :) 

For the BM cull percentage it really depends on whether the shrimp you are breeding is truly a BM. Some breeders have bred BMs with PFR to achieve a really deep red colour and they often label these as BMs as well. A true BM line should breed relatively true (less than 30% culls). As for the question on BMs with Chocos, you should end up with a mixture of high grade reds and some wilds. 

Essentially its important to understand that the neocaridina line of shrimp never truly breed true since the colours of all the shrimp are a result of random mutations somewhere down their line of ancestry so unless you are breeding two shrimp of the same colour variant, there is no guarantee that the shrimps would breed 100% true as its almost impossible to determine that particular shrimp's genetic line.

Lastly, if possible, I would suggest keeping all of them separate as there is really no way to prevent the likelihood of wild colour variants if you keep all of them in the same tank like that :P 

Hope this helps!

Sellers would always add shrimp of a simiar degree of color for more shrimp . Like putting a regular tiger with tangerines , then they just cycle around . I feel like in between generations theyll add others. Im not sure how BM came to be but i feel like now BMs are their own thing. I dont think people should add in different breeds in, then classify it as true when you know damn well that ishh looks and most likely is a cherry. In the end your really looking at the producer behind the selling if they really care about the shrimp their selling.

4 hours ago, HumanArtRebel1020 said:

Sellers would always add shrimp of a simiar degree of color for more shrimp . Like putting a regular tiger with tangerines , then they just cycle around . I feel like in between generations theyll add others. Im not sure how BM came to be but i feel like now BMs are their own thing. I dont think people should add in different breeds in, then classify it as true when you know damn well that ishh looks and most likely is a cherry. In the end your really looking at the producer behind the selling if they really care about the shrimp their selling.

Interesting. I agree people shouldn't mix unless they are doing breeding experiments, and then they should not sell those as true. I would never add another variety into one of my colonies!