Remineralizing with salt shrimp causes GH to elevate to high.

I was doing my water change and I was testing my RO water after remineralizing with salty bees gh+ to a tds of 130.  I decided to test that gh+ and it was at 8.  I decided to test my tank because I lost 1 shrimp recently and the tanks gh+ has skyrocketed to7.5 a 8.  Curious if this has happened to some one else and how do I fix it so the gh stays at 5ish.  Thanks in advance.

chris

So I just did a water change 10%  and only mixed the fresh ro water to a gh of 4 which was a tds of 75.  Now my tds in the tank is 145 and the gh is 6.  My plan now is to do another water change in 5-7 days with the same gh of 4 and I just ordered some tds up to keep the tds at 135-140.  Unless some one has a better idea or thinks this is the wrong thing to do.  I figure it is going to take a while to slowly bring the gh back in check.

Chris

I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish, a specific TDS range or a specific GH? I'd target the correct GH and let TDS settle where it wants. Mineral availability is what is so crucial to shrimp molting. Some wild caridina shrimps are able to live in water that is almost pure (25-40 ppm TDS). I'm guessing this is because of their diverse diet, so I don't see a huge problem with having a lower TDS (like 100 ppm or so... not 50 ppm obviously) as long as GH is in an acceptable range.

Instead of doing constant water changes with slightly lower GH, why not just remove 10% or so of your tank water and drip pure RO/DI back into it to lower your GH another degree? Either way will get you there, but one way is much faster than the other. Shrimps should be fine either way...as long as you drip it slowly.

My ro water comes at tds of 1: y add salty shrimp until i reach gh of 4 and that gives me a tds of  65 to 70 .  And that is what i use for water changes,  the tank stay at a tds of  90 -100. . I used to add mosura tds up But have stopped doing it a long time ago, no molting problems and good baby survival