Neos and buffered substrate

Hello all

I setup my 1st shrimp tank 6 months ago and I didn't know the difference neos and caridina shrimp. I learned a whole lot since then. The substrate for that tank is fluval stratum. I have orange shrimp in there. My gh and kh is at 3. Is there any way to raise the level of the gh and kh with having a buffered substrate.  I have 11 other tanks setup with 2 open. My last option is to move the orange shrimp to on open 20gal, but if I have to I would. There's a out 40+ juves in there. Any suggestions 

3 hours ago, Mdeezy said:

Hello all

I setup my 1st shrimp tank 6 months ago and I didn't know the difference neos and caridina shrimp. I learned a whole lot since then. The substrate for that tank is fluval stratum. I have orange shrimp in there. My gh and kh is at 3. Is there any way to raise the level of the gh and kh with having a buffered substrate.  I have 11 other tanks setup with 2 open. My last option is to move the orange shrimp to on open 20gal, but if I have to I would. There's a out 40+ juves in there. Any suggestions 

Hi Mdeezy!

Personally I've kept my Neos in active substrate together with my Crystals and they seem to be thriving :) (theyre really hardy fellows). But like you said, your GH does look a little low for Neos and that could potentially cause issues with their molting process. You could try using Salty Shrimp's GH+ to just raise the GH specifically. You could also try their other product KH/GH+ plus I would advise against it since your KH is already in an okay zone for Neos and adding anymore KH to your tank would only serve to wear out your Stratum at an accelerated rate.

Hope this helps!!

Personally I don’t have any experience with using Equilibrium but a quick foray to their product page shows the following composition:

b70877fdde88648060e9930cd39c3f80.png

Given that it contains both Calcium and Magnesium which are crucial for molting I’d say equilibrium should be fine [emoji1360] The mixing process might take some trial and error though [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

33 minutes ago, edishrimp said:

Given that it contains both Calcium and Magnesium which are crucial for molting I’d say equilibrium should be fine emoji1360.png The mixing process might take some trial and error though emoji6.png

Yes, it can be used for sure.  But I believe it is geared towards planted tanks so it may not contain all the micro/macro nutrients the shrimp need.