Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
DevinB

Best lighting for ten gallon planted.

Recommended Posts

Hey all, the tank I was using my OG dual bulb fixture with standard ten gallon plastic lid finaly bit the dust ( it had years of suffering my very very hard tap water as a guppy breeder before it became a shrimp tank). I had an emergency 14" metal dome shade clip on that I threw a 26 watt 5000k on over top for now but want to buy a nice led strip for plants, preferably an actual 18 inch or 20 inch for full light coverage and larger heat sink capacity.

 

The plant stocking is my entire bucephalandra collection of 15+ species on lava rock and cholla wood and Fissiden fontanus on driftwood with my Red Taiwan bees. So doesn't need to be high light by any means just the best color spectrum with lighting to cover a 20 inch wide tank and preferably led. Also it's very low tech, I just add some liquid ferts once or twice a month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2018 at 7:16 AM, DevinB said:

Hey all, the tank I was using my OG dual bulb fixture with standard ten gallon plastic lid finaly bit the dust ( it had years of suffering my very very hard tap water as a guppy breeder before it became a shrimp tank). I had an emergency 14" metal dome shade clip on that I threw a 26 watt 5000k on over top for now but want to buy a nice led strip for plants, preferably an actual 18 inch or 20 inch for full light coverage and larger heat sink capacity.

 

The plant stocking is my entire bucephalandra collection of 15+ species on lava rock and cholla wood and Fissiden fontanus on driftwood with my Red Taiwan bees. So doesn't need to be high light by any means just the best color spectrum with lighting to cover a 20 inch wide tank and preferably led. Also it's very low tech, I just add some liquid ferts once or twice a month.

 

Hey Devin!

 

I would suggest Finnex Planted Plus if your budget permits. Really nifty and slim light. Not to mention powerful too. I'm not sure about the spectrum range but I've had results with it in the past :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, edwin_the_elder said:

 

Hey Devin!

 

I would suggest Finnex Planted Plus if your budget permits. Really nifty and slim light. Not to mention powerful too. I'm not sure about the spectrum range but I've had results with it in the past :) 

Hey thanks, I have the 36 inch planted plus 24/7 on my 36 gallon bowfront and it does great at getting light down to the bottom of a tall tank, you dont think that the planted plus would be too strong for a shorter tank with such slow growing plants? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, DevinB said:

Hey thanks, I have the 36 inch planted plus 24/7 on my 36 gallon bowfront and it does great at getting light down to the bottom of a tall tank, you dont think that the planted plus would be too strong for a shorter tank with such slow growing plants? 

 

It might be but you said you were also dosing ferts is why I suggested it.

also doesnt the 24/7 version have a dimmer through the remote?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like my beamswork da 6500k. You can use a cheap inline dimmer and if you decide to add co2 it's got enough punch for that as well.  Its less than $50 so thats a plus.  I do really like my finnex 24/7 se the red leds really help the plants and seem to keep the alge in check.  If you want to be able to make your colors pop the 24/7 is amazing.  But for value the da series in 6500k or ea or et if your only doing low light.  Id reccomend only getting the 6500k versons as the full spectrum models wash out the colors with the 10000k white leds.  I also get better growth with 6500k.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/1/2018 at 4:26 PM, chappy6107 said:

 

It might be but you said you were also dosing ferts is why I suggested it.

also doesnt the 24/7 version have a dimmer through the remote?

Yea it does for the few days that the remote works for, and also not on 24/7 mode. The light itself is awesome but at least when I bought mine none of the remotes lasted longer than a week, I got tired of sending them back for replacement after the third time and just leave it on 24/7 now. Also I'm not "dosing" ferts by any means, I add in less than half the recommended dose of ferts once a month at water changes and occasionally I'll add a few drops in the middle of the month if i notice any leafs looking iffy.

 

9 hours ago, MNCarpenter said:

I really like my beamswork da 6500k. You can use a cheap inline dimmer and if you decide to add co2 it's got enough punch for that as well.  Its less than $50 so thats a plus.  I do really like my finnex 24/7 se the red leds really help the plants and seem to keep the alge in check.  If you want to be able to make your colors pop the 24/7 is amazing.  But for value the da series in 6500k or ea or et if your only doing low light.  Id reccomend only getting the 6500k versons as the full spectrum models wash out the colors with the 10000k white leds.  I also get better growth with 6500k.

I'll definitely check out the beamswork, if finnex has fixed their issues with remotes I'd definitely buy one again.

 

Thanks for the suggestion everyone, now to do some google comparisons

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the cc can you make the dark period say 6 or 9 hours long and can you dim the light periods?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, it still works in 3 hour increments like the original but you can adjust everything else really. I was gone for a few days and had my little brother looking after my tanks and he accidentally double dosed flourish excel and melted a few of my buce but other than that all of my plants are doing good so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×