To start off I want to say I been keeping my shrimps in tap water and all but one of my tanks is thriving and breeding. To give a little background. I have 8 tanks with different parameters for each.

1. CRS tank-TDS 280

2. CBS tank TDS 290

3. PRL tank 1 TDS 150

4. PRL tank 2 TDS 200

5. Zebra pintos TDS 140

6. Fancy Tigers TDS 140

7. BB TDS 200

8. Mix tibee tank TDS 180

all but my zebra tank are thriving and pumping out babies. But in my zebra tank it’s the opposite. I lost 2 shrimps in the past month randomly. Keep in mind, I don’t measure gH/kH. Feeding and wc is all the same for my tanks. I would like advice or if I should swap to RO water which unit would be good. 

8 hours ago, thenamespo said:

To start off I want to say I been keeping my shrimps in tap water and all but one of my tanks is thriving and breeding. To give a little background. I have 8 tanks with different parameters for each.

1. CRS tank-TDS 280

2. CBS tank TDS 290

3. PRL tank 1 TDS 150

4. PRL tank 2 TDS 200

5. Zebra pintos TDS 140

6. Fancy Tigers TDS 140

7. BB TDS 200

8. Mix tibee tank TDS 180

all but my zebra tank are thriving and pumping out babies. But in my zebra tank it’s the opposite. I lost 2 shrimps in the past month randomly. Keep in mind, I don’t measure gH/kH. Feeding and wc is all the same for my tanks. I would like advice or if I should swap to RO water which unit would be good. 

Wow! That's really high TDS to be keeping Caridinas in 😱!! I guess this is really an extreme example of stability being more important than trying to achieve the illusive "perfect parameters". Have you tried measuring your TDS out of your tap? And are you mineralising your tap water?

I have no idea how my tanks jumped TDS so high. But after adding prime and letting my water age for a couple days the TDS goes to 100-120. And that’s the range of my zebra tank when I do wc. But for my tanks that are 200+, I have no idea how it jumped so high. The only difference is the substrate in those tanks have half sand/half ada whereas my low TDS tanks have only Ada 

1 hour ago, thenamespo said:

Yeah TDS coming out of my tap is 50 and no I do not use any mineralizers

Interesting, do you feed your shrimps a lot of mineral rich foods? Do you have any stones in your tanks that could leech these minerals? Going by your tap's TDS the highest GH you could have would be between 2-3 dGH. Even though that seems pretty low, I must admit that I've seen more issues with too much GH than not enough but I feed a lot of nettles which are rich in these important minerals. I can easily get away with 3-4 dGH in my tanks. Many of the taiwan breeders keep their breeding tanks in this range, along with a low TDS and pH.

18 minutes ago, thenamespo said:

So basically my feeding routine goes like this.

M W F I feed them protein based foods

T Th I feed zucchini/spinach

Saturday I dose BacterAE

Sunday off

none of my tanks have any mineral stones so I have no clue where my TDS is leeching from.

Maybe from food debris. That's a lot of protein you're feeding. I only feed high protein based foods once a week. I like to skip a day in between feedings (not counting brown leaves and Bacter AE). Do you siphon up uneaten food 2-3 hours later? I find the water parameters can go south quickly with commercial and powdered foods. TDS will rise, as will nitrates. Ammonia itself isn't much concern with my pH but it does cause nitrates to skyrocket if left unchecked.

Feeding can add to your TDS is all I was getting at. Whether or not it has a negative effect can only be observed by you. If everyone is breeding and thriving except for one tank, then I would only focus on that one tank and keep doing what your'e doing with the others. Pintos can be hit and miss with breeding as it is. My suspicion is that some phenotypes appear to display more of the tiger traits more than others and vice versa. Makes me wonder if that's why it's difficult to get some of them to breed.. despite perfect TB parameters. I've got a few galaxy pintos that look more like fancy tigers and are "beefier" than some of the fishbone/boa looking phenotypes. The tiger looking phenotypes just don't want to breed for me for some reason.

• 3 months later...