Heat killed my bloody marys

vinniemabuna

Hi, I had Bloody mary shrimp shipped priority, it came in only 2 days so great , the problem was it was on a post office truck until 6 PM, I was checking all PM for it  so I got it inside and all dead. The water was HOT so being on the PO truck all day did them in. Do you think next time that Hold for pickup at the PO would work, I have done it in the past with good results but its 100 ++ here with humidity here in Tucson AZ, tks..

Ouch that sucks I'm sorry! Post office holding would be better than the truck, but that kind of heat makes even insulation not that helpful. Perhaps the seller could include some cold packs? Otherwise a shipping option that delivers before 10am would help a lot.

Sidenote- sent you a PM.

I've ordered in 90°F + temperatures but I always pay the extra for Express or Overnight shipping and have the P.O. hold for pickup. A few times the water was cooler than my tank's water with no cold packs... just insulation. The additional cost may not be worth it depending on the shrimps you are purchasing but with rare, expensive shrimp.. the extra $35-40 shipping cost is worth the piece of mind, IMO.

Yes, definitely hold for pickup!

This summer has been brutally hot - everywhere - even here in the north!   Not all delivery trucks are air conditioned.

This time of year, the biggest unknown in shipping is how long the shrimp will be driving around town on the delivery truck, is the delivery truck air conditioned, and how long will they sit out in the sun or in a mailbox before the recipient can bring them indoors and out of the heat?

I sell shrimp, fish and plants.  And I buy shrimp, fish and plants.  Where I live it can get really hot in the summer, and really cold in the winter.  I also live at the end of a 750 foot driveway and running up and down the driveway every 15 minutes isn't very realistic.  So at those times of the year, I alway try and have things shipped to me "Hold For Pickup".  When a package is shipped Hold for Pickup, it will be held at the post office in a temperature controlled facility for the recipient to come and pick up the package.  My post office is only a few miles down the road, and I'd rather drive down to pick up the package than worry about it being exposed to heat or cold for too long, or running up and down my long driveway.  Although I surely could use the exercise LOL!"  Your situation isn't a long driveway, it's that you're on the end of the delivery route.  But the end result is the same.  Additional exposure to stress.

Yeah, definitely hold for pickup.  It may be a pain to drive to the post office to pick up a package, but that's better than the disappointment of receiving a dead pet.  This summer has been brutal for everyone all around the world.  

:(

Hi, so I have 2 sellers Im buying bloody marys from, the first had no problem doing Hold for pickup,at the PO, the second one was told Hold for pickup was not an option when he went to ship the box. So some PO don't give that option ? The only plus is the next few days are cooler than last week we ll see whar happens ..

38 minutes ago, vinniemabuna said:

Hi, so I have 2 sellers Im buying bloody marys from, the first had no problem doing Hold for pickup,at the PO, the second one was told Hold for pickup was not an option when he went to ship the box. So some PO don't give that option ? The only plus is the next few days are cooler than last week we ll see whar happens ..

They should give you the option.... That's strange that different POs fine different answers. Cooler weather is a plus though! I really hope you have better luck!!

Sidenote - sent you a PM if you're still looking for mosses 😁

In order to do a hold for pickup, the package has to be shipped using the USPS website.  Some people don't use the USPS website because they get a bigger discount from other sources like Paypal etc.  Sounds like the second seller doesn't know this.  Could be he's just used to using the other shipping services because he gets a discount, or maybe he/she is new.  Tell him to use Click -n- Ship at USPS.com.  I use a variety of sources to ship.  But if a customer requests Hold for Pickup, it has to go through the USPS website.

Hi all, my 2 packages arrived today all alive ! The hold for pickup was great about 12 alive and the other one with the PO saying cant do Hold for pickup was great also , this package came at 2 PM instead of 6 PM and it was overcast today and about 92 degrees so the weather helped a lot and he did wall insulation with the 1/2 inch styro so that helped . Im a happy shrimper!