Breeding

Hey guys!

i have a tank with about 50 red fancy tigers and Ofc their coloration is perfect, some have really nice stripes and coverage and others are clear. I was wondering if I bred them with CRS I would get better red/white body coverage for them. Here’s a pic of how one of them looks. I would Ofc be separating them from the current tank and into another 10g to try and better the patterns/colors but was wondering how I would have to go about it

59836115-D135-490C-A043-ECAE39B0D9AD.jpeg

1FF9A8C9-580D-4812-B3F0-444D9A393107.jpeg

4DA91305-FF6C-452A-9B2F-913244FFEF9E.jpeg

0BA62832-7926-4300-9C8B-D337831CA62F.jpeg

43256CD0-76EB-44C5-9BC2-EAF8A8CC4CAC.jpeg

F6B9C82F-4720-46F2-9598-310ECC5CDE86.jpeg

I would breed your very best male and female fancies to each other. Set up a cull tank for the low grades if possible. Breeding back to CRS is just going to put you further away from your goal here. A lot of selective breeding was used to achieve these patterns and coloration. Beautiful shrimp, btw.

You are going to further dilute the tiger traits by introducing the CRS back into the program. You may end up with better coloration with some of the offspring  but the patterns are going to be hard to preserve doing it this way. You'll most likely have CRS looking shrimps and others with random tiger patterns.

With fancy to fancy, there's always that small percentage that two mid grade shrimps will produce a high grade with better coloration/patterns but it's better to start with your best phenotypes and cull the offspring than to rely on recessive traits to be expressed.

Most of these hybrid lines won't breed true anyways but can still produce nice patterns when the right pair is selected for breeding. The most consistent fancy lines I've seen to date are those bred by Monika Pöhler. I just wish I had deep enough pockets for a few of those gold grades. :) 

Nah, too rich for my blood. I do have a few mid to high grade galaxy pintos but that's about as fancy as it gets. haha I don't keep a lot of tanks these days. I lost a lot of money in shrimp last year by being negligent, so I'm basically starting over again.

I can't take any credit for the bloodlines... just the scapes. :) The galaxies are two different lines one bred by Ebi Tengu and the other Silane. The mix of the two should keep the lines strong for the next few generations. I have berries due any day now. Exciting! I do have a few unique pintos from German origin that I may separate and selectively breed but for now they're just in a mixed tank.

For taiwan bees and neos, yeah, he's a little steep. For Galaxy Pintos... not so much, especially considering his mid grades look what others pass off as high grade. I've seen high grades go as high as $200 for blacks and $400 for reds. While I did pay $68 a piece for his high grades, the ones I received displayed boa patterns. Good luck finding those for under $100 a piece anywhere else. He even tossed in a free high grade with my purchase. I only know of a handful of breeder/sellers in the US that even have these shrimp. There's no real set standard to grading these shrimp and a lot of people set their own prices.

Exactly. Time and space is also a big factor for me. Anyone that is successful in keeping and breeding tigers and bees can eventually end up with nice looking phenotypes for very little money invested if they cull hard enough. The problem is, many breeders aren't doing that. The market is flooded with watered down shrimp. Cull shrimp have a place, just not in a breeding program.

On 8/10/2018 at 1:14 PM, madcrafted said:

Exactly. Time and space is also a big factor for me. Anyone that is successful in keeping and breeding tigers and bees can eventually end up with nice looking phenotypes for very little money invested if they cull hard enough. The problem is, many breeders aren't doing that. The market is flooded with watered down shrimp. Cull shrimp have a place, just not in a breeding program.

Way too time consuming/space needed for culling low grades into higher grades. So that’s why it costs so much for a high grade shrimp. No one has time and patience to cull through generations

I don't think people realize how fast a colony can drop grades. You could start with 4 high grades and if you dont cull that first batch of babies you may only get a random medium grade at best in a year. More so with neos but still the greed seeping it's way into this hobby will only make the problems worse.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...