Shipping shrimp in hot Florida weather

Valek

I think at this time of year, the biggest unknown in shipping is how long the shrimp will be driving around town on the delivery truck, is the delivery truck air conditioned, and how long will they sit out in the sun or in a mailbox before the recipient can bring them indoors and out of the heat?

I sell shrimp, fish and plants.  And I buy shrimp, fish and plants.  Where I live it can get really hot in the summer, and really cold in the winter.  I also live at the end of a 750 foot driveway and running up and down the driveway every 15 minutes isn't very realistic.  So at those times of the year, I alway try and have things shipped to me "Hold For Pickup".  When a package is shipped Hold for Pickup, it will be held at the post office for the recipient to come and pick up the package.  My post office is only a few miles down the road, and I'd rather drive down to pick up the package than worry about it being exposed to heat or cold for too long, or running up and down my long driveway.  Although I surely could use the exercise LOL!

I think using overnight shipping, and hold for pick up - they should be fine.  

:)

Oh yes, and most experienced, reputable sellers have a "Live Arrival Guarantee".  Check to see that yours does...

Many sellers ask for you to contact them with any issues within 2 hours of delivery.  I know it sounds harsh, but they do that to make sure that the recipient was responsible and didn't let the package sit out in the heat or cold all afternoon before taking it indoors.

Hope this helps!

:)

Good packaging is a very important factor in whether your shrimp will arrive alive or not.  And when it's really hot out "Hold for Pickup" is a great option. 

All that being said, you can't account for boxes being crushed or shrimp sitting hot in a truck our outside somewhere for an extended period of time.  Sometimes sh!t happens!  As long as the seller has a DOA policy, you should be good to go.  

3 hours ago, wyzazz said:

All that being said, you can't account for boxes being crushed or shrimp sitting hot in a truck our outside somewhere for an extended period of time.  Sometimes sh!t happens!

Well said!  All you can do is pack them as well as you can with styrofoam, insulation and cool packs and then it's up to the whim of the "Postal Gods" LOL!

I've been fairly surprised that I've only lost 1 shipment this season, and it was in June before things really heated up.  I've been lucky so far this year.  (knocks on wood).  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...