TPShrimpers racktastic adventures

Tpshrimper

What's up shrimpers??  In the process of setting up a new shrimp rack so figured might as well start a journal.  Been doing shrimp for about 18 months now.  My passion for the hobby has only grown and the MTS is REAL.  I will add more details later this evening but wanted to get this thing started.  My knowledge base has expanded exponentially over the past year and a half and I'm ready to crush this rack. 

Did a ton of research and went with a boltless uline widespan rack.  It seems to be excellent and uline customer service is top notch.  One of my pieces was bent and they overnighted me a new one.  Went 3/4 inch plywood with waterproof stain/seal to place on the wires.  Went surprisingly well considering I'm not what one would call "handy" or "good at building things".  

The plan as of now is 9 tanks total.  Top will be blue dreams in a 20g, red cherries 10g, green jades 10g.  

Middle will be my existing 17.1g for blue/black and red tbs.  Then 10g tangerine tiger/Crs culls/yellow goldenback neos (yea I know it's a hilarious tank but it's working at the moment!) Then 10g OERBT/OEBT.  

Bottom I am thinking one 10g for black spotted head pintos, and one 10g hopefully for some red steels I produce from my red tb tank.  Just upped my numbers of red tbs thanks to barbee and grabbed some red tangtais from eder.  

Substrate will be sl aqua for caridina and either substratesource sand or eco complete black for neos.  

Filtration is literally every type thanks to my collectoritis.  Canister on 20 long with sponge, HMF for all 10 gallon tanks, and my 17s have sponges and HOBs.  For some reason my TBs have been crushing with that setup.  And got an alita for all the air.  

I also have a 22 long upstairs with Crystals that I will leave there.  Maybe my best tank, just a ton of berries and babies currently.  

Neos and blue tigers gh/kh+ to 200tds

Tbs gh+ to 70, TDs up to 130

Tangerine mix tank gh+ to 100ish, tds up to 160

Pintos will do gh+ to 70 and TDs up to

Crystal's gh+ to 100ish

(I realize that's confusing but it doesn't take much time, i enjoy working on the tanks and water params, and it works for me!)

I'm heading out for my bachelor party tomorrow so most of the work setting up or moving the tanks will happen next week.  My future wife likes the tanks and let me put the rack basically in the family room of our house so pretty sure I picked the right one 😎👌.  

I'll throw some photos of my current tanks at the bottom.  Ill try to update this as much as possible as I love reading when other people do these.  Let me know if you awesome people have questions, advice, suggestions, think I'm an idiot for how I do things (probably accurate) or anything else you want to see.  More to come!

20180717_170014.jpg.42a9dd52b8f12e6f2b9b8b66a3de8da6.jpg

Keep on Shrimping,

TPShrimper 

20180810_171741.jpg

20180813_201617.jpg

20180813_201556.jpg

20180813_191059.jpg

20180813_201614.jpg

20180813_201607.jpg

20180809_205900.jpg

First new tank is cycling on the rack!  Big moment.  Exciting stuff.  This is a 20 long, inert substrate, fluval 206 I had laying around on one end and a sponge filter on the other. 

Wanted to start up the rest of my tanners, but my genius self ordered blue HMFs from swiss tropicals instead of black.  The fiance was not cool with the blue.  Those are on the way back and I'll get those tanks started next week.  

I use a little bit of hybrid method for cycling.  I use the SL Aqua cycling method and throw in a vitality pouch as well.  Then I throw in about 25-30 ramshorn snails just to help out.  Dont change any water for 5 weeks, then I do 2 or 3 50% water changes over the last week.  6 weeks total.  I'll load this puppy up with hornwort in a couple weeks as well and let that soak up the nitrates that are produced.  This hobby is great because you can come up with weird methods that are your own.  

I'm off for the rest of the week, but look for an update post next week as I move my existing tanks and start up the rest of the tanks on the rack.  

Keep on shrimping.

20180814_194708.jpg

Rack allllllllllllmost complete.  Put in yhe hygger air pump today and that thing is super quiet.  Blown away by how quiet it is.  No clue how long it will last but with that price tag I'm not too worried.  Three tanks are cycling up top.  Started one more cycling on the middle shelf.  SL aqua cycling method, big fan.  Added some black pintos to my black TB tank so interested to see how that goes.  More updates coming soon!  

20180831_191118.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Update!!  Just moved last month and getting everything set up and going great!  Tanks are as follows.

Top Row- 10g bloody mary, 10g yellow goldenback, 20 long blue dreams

Middle row - 10g tangerine tiger and red pinto, 10g high grade crystals, 22 gallon mid grade crystals

Bottom row - 17g tangtai and mixed taiwan bee, 17g cycling, (probably for selective breeding of mixed caridina) 10 gallon cycling (for tangerine only tank).

Breeding has slowed a little in the winter.  Blue dreams breeding very well, crystals growing back out after sales to local fish store, tangtai are berried like crazy.  Seriously my tangtai are nuts, every single female I have is berried.  No berried pintos or TBs but hopefully they will settle in and get to the babymaking.  

Keep on shrimping 😎🤙

20190107_213628.jpg

I've got 5 really nice tangtai females that are in the mixed TB tank.  I want to put them into a new tank with specific males to start a more focused selective breeding project.  I'd like to attempt to get some steels.  What is the best male shrimp to put with them??  Red Pinto, black pinto, red panda, black panda, bkk?  I'm excited to test this out and see what happens but wondering if anyone has experience with this exact scenario.  

Two new tanks are off and running!  I put sponge filters in that were running on other tanks for ages so pretty much instantly cycled.  Still going to wait probably 5 weeks before adding shrimp juuuuust to be safe.  Got the trusty ramshorns holding down the fort for the time being.20190115_191635.jpg.c8cf6081735e8eb46f1ceedb2be66e8c.jpg

So this journal may turn from a rack journal into a steel project journal.  As you can see the rack is pretty much done.  No more room!20190115_191742.jpg.896dd3b9239142881a095f1233846ddd.jpg

Had 7 berried tangtais, two have given birth in past couple days.  The males in the tank currently are pandas and black pintos.  However there were a few TT males left in previously so its possible they got a couple of the tangtai mothers.  Regardless, should have some Tangtai x TB shrimplets soon!  I believe that would make them f2s?  Still trying to figure out all the genetic stuff but man is it fun.  Also got a cool picture of mother and daughter, both pregnant.  Plan is to take the best f2 females and put them with male pandas in the new tank in a month.  20190115_191617.jpg.c1ff9c067f40d73880c4ad939f836366.jpg

New T5 light for the mixed caridina 17 gallons.  Pretty cheap on amazon.  Wasn't getting great growth with my led on these tanks so figured I'd try this out.  20190126_174356.jpg.dae407ec6b5f9feab62b6ffe58d82aa0.jpg

I've also spotted a ton of taitibees (i assume you call them that when they are tangtai x tb?) in the tank on the left.  Only camera I have is my phone though and not able to get good enough pictures.  May need to invest in a camera!