Are my shrimp dead and how to prevent this from happening again.

Hi I am just coming back into freshwater shrimp after a few year hiatus. I have a 12g long with a sponge filter and shrimp king substrate. I cycled the tank for about a month, then added 6 otos. One of the very small otos passed shortly after but the rest did fine. I added bunch of plants (hornwort, cabomba, several anubias, several buce, cabomba, elodea) and let the tank run another 1.5-2 months. 8 days ago I purchased 12 auratai shrimp and dripped them for 2 hours. Up until 2 days ago I could always find at least 8 at a time in the tank and I always saw different ones. I havent been available to check the tank again until today. Now I only see one shrimp that seems lethargic? It randomly freaked out a bit ago and was twitching upside down in the water column.

I do not see any dead shrimp however I have a bunch of pond snails and a mystery snail and I think the bodies would get eaten quickly.

Parameters-

TDS-174 (was 156 2 days ago??)

GH-5-6(6 drops)

KH-0-1

Thank you.

4 minutes ago, thenamespo said:

Something in your water is causing your shrimps to die.

are there any spikes

There was a spike in tds by over 20 ppm. I do not know what could explain that. The only thing I did was feed bee pollen food and topped off with RO water. Does the top off need to be dripped in? How should I go about lowering my TDS without killing my one possible survivor.

8 hours ago, thenamespo said:

Don’t necessarily go by TDS all the time. Tds could mean anything. What about ammonia, nitrates etc?

any spikes there, because like I said anything can raise tds like feeding and leftover foods

I moved my crypts and the die off completely disappeared since 2 days ago. I will do a test when Im back from lunch for the rest of my parameters. I wonder if there was too much decaying matter.

3 hours ago, TheGardenofEder said:

Also disrupting substrate will cause issues best to leave plants where they are once shrimp are in the tank. You do spray anything like febreze do you?

I do not. I actually moved the plants about a week or a week and a half before I purchased the shrimp. My cryptocryne undulata took a while to start dying off. Definitely learned my lesson. Im not going to touch anything just going to do a large water changes and while im at it im going to shoot for a lower gh like 3-4.

3 hours ago, chappy6107 said:

I suggest dripping in both top off water and water change water.

That one survivor is still kicking and ammonia is back down to 0. Tds is at 168. Would doing a water change with 2GH water kill him? I wanted to lower my gh closer to 3-4. I plan to do it as a slow drip.

i know a lot of people feel like those stones dont affect water parameters, but if me I wouldnt use stones in shrimp tanks. those dragon stones tend to have pockets that collect things and crumble. who knows what gets released from them. 

do you have a full tank shot?

2 hours ago, bostoneric said:

i know a lot of people feel like those stones dont affect water parameters, but if me I wouldnt use stones in shrimp tanks. those dragon stones tend to have pockets that collect things and crumble. who knows what gets released from them. 

do you have a full tank shot?

I do not have a current one. This tank used to be scaped with just malaysian driftwood. Hopefully the 30$ I spent on dragonstone isnt a waste. Do you think i need to take it out?

8 hours ago, AdvancedAquaculture said:

That one survivor is still kicking and ammonia is back down to 0. Tds is at 168. Would doing a water change with 2GH water kill him? I wanted to lower my gh closer to 3-4. I plan to do it as a slow drip.

since you are having issues, just do a very small amount dripped in.  say a gallon or less.

If it is real Ohko/Dragon Stone then they definitely don't change water parameters, but like bostoneric said these rocks always come with dirt attached to them. When I use them, I leave them in a bucket for a couple of weeks and then pressure wash them a bit and use a toothbrush to try and dislodge any sediment that is still attached to the stone...

Isn't dragon stones just clay based? Having said that, it smells like an old cave and the dust is hard on the lungs, especially for asthmatics like myself. lol I've used in my shrimp tanks, but only after soaking a few hours in hot water, then scrubbing with toothbrush, followed by a 3% H2O2 dip for safe measures. My personal favorite "stone" to use these days is petrified wood. Shrimp love picking at the algae and biofilm that readily grows on them and it doesn't affect parameters either.

I hate how good shrimp are at hiding. It took me almost 15 minutes to find one of the 2 aura blue tigers I added. I just have to assume the other one is hiding somewhere. I dont want to add a bunch of shrimp just to have them die again.

I added a piece of cholla wood and did some tests. Forgot to snap a photo I still need to get a FTS.

Parameters currently (I dripped a 50% water change in overnight just in case that auratai is still around)

138-145 TDS (138 last night, 145 today)

3-4 GH (4 drops)

0 KH

0 ammonia

0 nitrite

<5 nitrate

Do you guys think 5 otos and a mystery snail is too much of a bioload for a 12g shrimp tank? I took out all of my hornwort and Im pretty sure thats what keeps my nitrates so low. 

Current FTS with my top off being dripped in. My cholla wood hasn't sunk yet. I found an auratai still kicking. Not sure where either of the aura blues are. Im worried since were losing a lot of shrimp from the same supplier at work. 

Is there any downside to only feeding snowflake food while theres only a couple shrimp in the tank? I don't want to pollute my tank with food I doubt the shrimp will find in time.

20180826_183849.jpg

I would lose the stones and try to simplify your plants. a sponge on each end would be plenty.  5 ottos is a lot for a small tank.  you really dont need ottos in shrimp tanks. 

I'd try to keep things to a minimum to try and make it easier.