Need info+suggestions: My tap with Fluval Stratum

Hey guys.. So here is my tap:

pH: 7.4

gH: 6

kH: 5

And I would really love to keep a tank of Bloody Mary (neo cherry shrimp).

I am curious since I know the Fluval Stratum will try to buffer the water to a lower pH.

I'm wondering how low it will make my water's pH go since I have a kH of 5??

Any information would be awesome.

Do you think it'll be okay to have these Bloody Mary shrimp in these water parameters and in Fluval Stratum?

Let me know what you guys think!

I think it's a bad idea to use any active substrate with tap water that contains kH.  What is going to happen is that your tap will exhaust the buffering substrate eventually.  Here's the kicker...   ...you don't know when this is going to happen!  Once the active substrate is exhausted your pH will swing up fairly rapidly.  This generally causes pH shock in the tank and can not only kill off your shrimp but some of your beneficial bacteria as well, causing an ammonia spike and a mini-cycle in the tank.  

If the substrate is already exhausted, then you're fine.  

My preference would be for you to find an inert black substrate (Blasting Sand, Eco Complete, etc...) or utilize RO water with a gH only (shrimp specific) remineralizer.  Neo's like Bloody Mary's don't require a lower pH, but many are fine in those Caridina-type parameters.  And survive and even thrive just fine after a couple of generations of adjustment.  

2 hours ago, wyzazz said:

I think it's a bad idea to use any active substrate with tap water that contains kH.  What is going to happen is that your tap will exhaust the buffering substrate eventually.  Here's the kicker...   ...you don't know when this is going to happen!  Once the active substrate is exhausted your pH will swing up fairly rapidly.  This generally causes pH shock in the tank and can not only kill off your shrimp but some of your beneficial bacteria as well, causing an ammonia spike and a mini-cycle in the tank.  

If the substrate is already exhausted, then you're fine.  

My preference would be for you to find an inert black substrate (Blasting Sand, Eco Complete, etc...) or utilize RO water with a gH only (shrimp specific) remineralizer.  Neo's like Bloody Mary's don't require a lower pH, but many are fine in those Caridina-type parameters.  And survive and even thrive just fine after a couple of generations of adjustment.  

pH shouldn't ever go above my tap, 7.4, correct? I mean... how could it haha???

Also, I was looking for "inert" black sand everywhere.. I saw some black sand from Top Fin, Aqueon, and even Carribsea.

They all have a little "notice" on the back saying this gravel may contain minerals that may affect pH. Please watch you pH carefully.

So that scared me off... Are they not truly inert? I've also heard these horror storys  from Diamond black blasting sand as well...

Are they truly inert?

I've never had any issues with Blasting Sand.  And if you're using a non-active substrate of any sort then you should be ok.  

I guess inert in this case really means something that isn't actively trying to lower your pH.  So yeah, they are inert.  Pick one and roll with it.  

1 minute ago, wyzazz said:

I've never had any issues with Blasting Sand.  And if you're using a non-active substrate of any sort then you should be ok.  

I guess inert in this case really means something that isn't actively trying to lower your pH.  So yeah, they are inert.  Pick one and roll with it.  

Alrighty. I'll swap the substrate out with some black sand then!

41 minutes ago, wyzazz said:

Yes, that should be inert.  

What are you planting that you will need root tabs?  

Well wouldn't any plant that gets it's nutrients from the roots will need a root tab? There isn't any nutrients in the sand?

I'm not 100% sure what plants I want yet though.

How could you get away with planting without root tabs in sand?

I keep Anachris Elodea, Jungle Val, Corkscrew Val, Java Fern, Mosses, Hornwort, Salvinia Minima, Dwarf Water Lettuce, Frogbit, Red Root Floaters, Crypts.  I have a post in the Marketplace that has some pics up with a few of these for sale.