I don't understand card genetics at all...

aotf

...so here are some pictures!

R8LY1eF.jpg8purdRR.jpg

These F2 shrimplets are only a couple days old (marsilea crenata leaf and hair grass strand as references in second picture) and are the result of:
TT x BB => F1

F1 x BB => F2

The BB group they came from had some mosura in it, so clearly not "pure" BB.
I expected maybe some blue or a lot of orange, but certainly not white and red.

I'm guessing I'm dealing with some kind of low-grade CRS mischling business or the beginnings of a pinto line.
Hope they survive!

I've also got some F1 x F1 =>F2 on the way, they should be hatching this week.

12 hours ago, wyzazz said:

Nice!  Give them a few weeks to color up and you should see what they will actually look like.  

Yeah, I'm pretty excited!
The same day I made that post, some of my F1xF1 => F2 clutches hatched. I haven't been able to get any pictures yet but those ones have some babies that are very clearly blue. I'm guessing they'll darken up a lot so I'm likely looking at some black pintos (...or something).

I haven't seen the ones in the pictures for a couple days and my tank kills card shrimplets (sigh) but I'll keep my fingers crossed and post pictures when I can get some decent ones (these shrimp are so small!).

I'll put up a picture of the mamas later, they're pretty typical tangtai fare but some might find them interesting.

Here's an F1 mom, pretty normal looking for a tangtai (they're having dinner, hence all the floaties):

DCmzqPU.jpg

...and here's the first decent picture I could get of an F1xF1=>F2. They're not as nice as the F1xBB shrimplets but they're moving around a lot more and are clearly healthier. No blue/black ones caught on camera yet.

0pjHW72.jpg

Just kidding, here it it (red pinto?):

2cb8Ovh.jpg

hI there...

I also try with tangerines tigers x pinto and x taiwan, also crs  x pinto taiwans.

In F2 i saw some blacks in there and some red pintos, they are small yet to say what they are for sure.

F1 x f1 give good results?

5 hours ago, Shrimporama said:

Love the red spots. Interesting. Wonder if clear areas will remain. 

Hope not! It's way too early to tell but I'd love for these to come out solid. I'm guessing they'll come out with a lot of clear and I won't be able to select for solids for another generation or two but fingers crossed.

5 hours ago, nicpapa said:

hI there...

I also try with tangerines tigers x pinto and x taiwan, also crs  x pinto taiwans.

In F2 i saw some blacks in there and some red pintos, they are small yet to say what they are for sure.

F1 x f1 give good results?

So far, F1 x F1 is giving me red and "blue" (I think the blue will turn black as they get older). I'll try to get a picture.
We'll see the results in a couple weeks, these ones are 4-5 days old.
I've heard crosses like this don't get good until F4-5 so I'm not expecting these to be great.

9 hours ago, aotf said:

Hope not! It's way too early to tell but I'd love for these to come out solid. I'm guessing they'll come out with a lot of clear and I won't be able to select for solids for another generation or two but fingers crossed.

So far, F1 x F1 is giving me red and "blue" (I think the blue will turn black as they get older). I'll try to get a picture.
We'll see the results in a couple weeks, these ones are 4-5 days old.
I've heard crosses like this don't get good until F4-5 so I'm not expecting these to be great.

This i also know that at f4- f5 have good results.

Yes somes look blue when they are small but turn on  black when grown.

• 3 weeks later...

Picture dump!

The quality isn’t amazing because these guys are tiny and I’m taking these pictures with a 5S, but I’m getting some really interesting variety and I thought I’d share. 

Many will be boring tangtais but a couple are really promising.

Clear with white stripes

MKJWBqG.jpg

Pretty eh

IYe8kaE.jpg

Clear with red specks

zXyl28a.jpg

Getting more interesting

9kn2bIs.jpg

Black?

M9FONq8.jpg

...green? With white stripes?

Lb6g3AE.jpg

Nice blue with stripes

2Dpd3Rq.jpg

Whatever this is, I’m excited

pq6yj2b.jpg

I also saw what looked like a blue steel but couldn’t get a picture.

That’s it for now! I’ll post more when they grow up.

• 2 months later...
On 2/7/2019 at 8:19 AM, Shrimporama said:

Any updates?

Nothing of note, I've been snapping some pictures here and there but the (few) shrimplets that survived to this point look very much like their tangtai parents so they're not particularly interesting. The really cool looking ones seem to have died off. Not sure why, my water seems like it's within range.

I wonder if the ones that look more tibee-like also inherited the blue-bolt sensitivity/hatred of my tank, while the TT-phenotyped shrimplets got more of the TT hardiness, explaining why those are the ones to survive.

Either way, the parents are still breeding so I'm keeping my eye out for cool-looking babies. It's slow-going with the survival rate being so low in my tank :(

• 5 months later...
On 7/30/2019 at 7:59 AM, Ron Kalman said:

Hi any updates?

Actually yes!

Almost all of my previous F2s died off (I think a couple made it to adulthood) but they were very tangtai-looking so nothing too special there. Since then, I've had several batches and many of them are surviving. Most are juvies at this point. I've gotten some shrimplets I'm pretty excited about. Most (60-70%) are tangtai, a couple are some weird low-grade CBS-looking things, some YKK-looking shrimp with more white specks/striping, 5 BKKs (!) and one weird blue steel or king-kong like shrimp that I only see once every couple weeks so I have no idea if it's still alive.

I have another 3-4 pregnant females so more shrimplets to come.

In order:
CBS-thing
20190612_085504.jpg.37b83bcfc0e2af040929fb5dc7de50e7.jpg

YKK-thing
20190612_085525.jpg.a892b1e6faa84ac32f31f5a05a770d69.jpg

BKKs

20190528_081300.jpg.1e82db53f42e0f8f6e475bf32bef69e3.jpg

Blue steel thing??

20190612_224001.jpg.f864304e427d0db2e1588c2e06a5c77f.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

A couple pictures I snapped this morning, that was the first time I've seen the blue speckled shrimplet. Hoping for something blue-steel-ish!

20190821_182208.jpg

20190822_085138.jpg

20190822_085203.jpg

• 6 months later...

Hey you guys, new guy here. But not new to breeding. 

F1s aren’t really the best generation to pick only the 1-2 Shrimps you think have the best traits for using to move on with. Personally I’d pick A few of the ones I liked Best for what ever reasons, also dependent on which genders genes are dominant. 

I say that because F2s are going to have the best mixture of visible traits and genes of the 2 different parents. it’ll be like A 50/50 mixture of genes/traits, compared to having like 1/3 dad dominant 1/3Mom dominant and 1/3 50/50 Mix in the first Filial Generation. 

Sorry to intrude like that, just wanted to make sure you had the best chance to get what you wanted in your breeding project bud!