Need advise I have detrise worms and white bugs

vinniemabuna

Hi, my 9 gallon ehime  tank have been running 6 + months now. I have bloody mary and TT shrimp and a few CRS in it, my BM shrimp just started to have shrimplets my TT are berried also. My problem is a have detrise worms andwhite small bugs a lot also in my tank. About 6 months ago I had planaria -I emptied the tank and bombed them with dog dewormer that killed the planaria, should I bomb my tank again , Im getting a good water change siphon and I only feed 3 times a week should I stop feeding for a week or 2 ? thanks

20180929_163906 (1).jpg

20180929_164115.jpg

To get rid of the worms I’ve read that you should take out all decomposing food so I have a good dish that I take out and rinse every day so I won’t get problems, you can buy these small little shrimp dishes on amazon and such to help with that problem and it helps keep the tank clean as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your tank is only 6moz old, it's still growing and finding it's balance.  You can reduce feeding, and that will help in time but you need to to let this tank grow and mature to find it's own natural balance and then tweak it from there.  In time these undesirable organisms will reduce to such a small number that you will rarely see them.  

P.S.  Keep an eye on that berried BM on the bottom-left.  She looks like she may be having trouble with a molt.  

• 1 month later...

Old food and plant detritus that doesn't get eaten can build up in the substrate.  So vacuuming the substrate may help.  Just be careful to avoid any baby shrimp. And don't over vacuum it either...  I usually vacuum just a little section of the substrate each time I do a water change.  And pick another spot at the next change.  If you vacuum it all at once you can take out too much beneficial bacteria and cause an ammonia spike.  But if you pick a different area each time it'll remove stuff that's built up and acting as food for the worms and bugs.

I dealt with detritus worms in my oscar tank and freaked out myself, not knowing what they were. I can say that after the research I've done that my conclusion is they're harmless.

They hitch a ride on live plants and even driftwood, feeding on teeny tiny bits of food and such. Most people I know of that have experience with them have a love-hate relationship with them for being unsightly but a valuable biologic filter. It's a sign of a thriving planted aquarium!

Not sure if that holds true for shrimp keeping, but I figure that shrimp are omnivorous - if they keep multiplying the shrimp may well eat the small ones. If nothing else, managing left over food and detritus in the tank will thin them. Imo, they're like better snails, since they can't outcompete shrimp for food.

Not sure about your white bugs tho. Do you have close ups of them?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk