Sign in to follow this  
AquaticShrimpNoob

AquaticShrimpNoob's Journal

Hi Everyone,

I decided to right a journal so that I can document (at least) things that I have done and current things that I will be doing to my shrimp tank. This will be kind of my diary entirely about my shrimp tank. Honestly, this is for my own purposes only but feel free to browse, comment and/or ask questions.

IMG_2068.JPG.48a67a7651ff58f8dd2e85f46e1c3d37.JPG

My dream shrimp at first was blue bolt. However, after I learned the basics of shrimp keeping, my dream crumbled to pieces. So I decided to look for a different shrimp. I still preferred Caridina over Neocaridina. However, most Caridina are being kept in soft water. It was frustrating at the time until I decided to join this group. The first thing that I did was to browse the Marketplace. I got enchanted by OERBT. This was even more exiting because the OERBT are being kept in hard water. Without thinking twice, I immediately contacted @wyzazz. Unfortunately, wyzazz did not have some available at the time. After 7.5 weeks, I finally got them in my tank. The wait was well worthy. Fast forward in time (months), I got another batch from wyzazz to add to my remaining first batch. I really love my OERBT!!

IMG_2380.JPG.3d342d5a02f037476a4393f5ce766bb4.JPG

I am a very big fan of rare and wild type shrimps. I am very fond of wild Caridinas because most of them do not crossbreed with other Caridinas. That said, I found it to be difficult to find another type of Caridina that thrives in hard water. Well, that was until I found out about Flip Aquatics. In their website, I found Caridina Babaulti sp. Zebra Stripped. Again, I did not have any second thought about ordering them. Unfortunately, they were sold out. I then subscribed to get notification when they are back in-stock. After 5 weeks, I finally got the notification. Well, Flip Aquatics have 30 days quarantine period for all their imports. So I had to wait 30 days. However, I still placed my order. After total of 10 weeks, I finally received my batch. Again, the long wait was well worthy.

During the 10 weeks waiting period, I was browsing the net to look for information about these shrimps. I found out that they are not as prolific compare to other dwarf shrimps. For a seller, this is not ideal because it takes lots of time, money and effort to produce a batch to sell. In short, this is negative net income. But for me, this is very ideal. I do not have to face the issue of over population in short period of time. Don't get me wrong. It would be nice to sell home bred shrimps that are bear fruit of my hard work and to get back some of my capital cost. But that is not the reason that I got into this hobby. Anyways, I found some journal papers about them. Long story short, it seems like I found the way to breed them faster than they normally do but still not comparable to regular Caridinas.

IMG_2443.JPG.2e27bab60dbca4b2c985ddac9ec4f774.JPG

I was not going to get another shrimp type. After I gave up on Bloody Mary due to financial and personal circumstances, I decided to just focus on the shrimps that I have. As a shrimp keeper especially a beginner, you might understand my situation - I want more type of shrimps but I could not. However, you will never know when the opportunity strikes. Anyways, I got this opportunity to keep Caridina Rubropunctata (e.i. Leopard Tiger Shrimp). At first, I was not going to because of the circumstances that I mentioned. My decision of getting them went down even further after learning that they are being kept in soft water. But having them is like once-in-a-shrimp-keeping-lifetime. I was afraid that I will regret not getting them. So, I did my research. I talked to the breeder A LOT. I asked A LOT of questions. I even went to foreign websites and did A LOT of translations just to get info about this type of Caridina. I found out that they can be kept in hard water PLUS they don't crossbreed like Caridina Babaulti. The later can be assure by the breeder because these are being kept with other Caridina but never crossbred. Anyways, after sorting out A LOT of things, I was able to get a batch. I successfully slowly acclimated them to hard water. Lucky, I was able to use successfully my Chemistry and engineering knowledge and skills into my hobby. The question now is will they be able to thrive (e.i. breed) in hard water. I do observe them every single day since they enter my aquarium. So far, I do not see any problem. They are acting same way as my other shrimps in the tank. They are adapting pretty well. 

I hope to get more shrimps in the future when given the opportunity.

Happy Holidays Everyone!!

Sincerely,

AquaticShrimpNoob

Hi EverStuff,

Sure. I would keep this journal updated. If by any chance you are interested, I can give you some tips on slow dripping process. Send me a PM.

Hi Everyone,

I would like to share one of the on-going projects that I am working on. I am breeding Bacillus subtilis and Lactobacillus to produce biofilms, which came from Bacter AE. Just to be clear, I have no way of quantifying if these are the bacterias that are in my homemade solution. However, I do have proven that Bacter AE has bacteria in the powder by doing the "milk test" that can be perform to probiotic supplements at home. In addition to that, my solutions inside the soda bottles budged up - pressure releases when open. I will discuss more about these in my later post. For now, I will be just sharing results.

IMG_2484.jpg.c59ebd7d914649bacd47cb03582f8fba.jpg

Anyways, I got good result as can be seen on the picture above. I have started feeding my shrimps these biofilms for a while now using an aquarium baster and they love these. Despite that, I believe that this has more room for improvement (e.i. I can get more biofilms out of my solution). Notice that not much biofilms have formed despite being aged for weeks. This is due to low ratio of surface area to volume along with bad surface texture. Therefore, I decided to investigate the use of bio bale.

IMG_2488.jpg.d83d41ea3c190f70e9095bfec4aeb68e.jpg

Bio bale is simply a bio-media for filtration just like sponges and bio balls. I decided to use this bio-media because of its physical aspects. Anyways, the above picture shows bio bale inside my solution. I am expecting that bio films will start to form on the media in the next few weeks. I am hoping that I will be able to harvest more biofilms with this methodology. 

That's it for now. Please feel free to comment and/or ask questions.

Thanks,

AquaticShrimpNoob

Good news. After just three days, all the bottles were already pressurized. My house is sitting around 72F, which is fairly cold. Anyways, I had a douche move. I decided to replace half of the solution from each bottle. I changed my aquarium water. That said, I have a new broth for the solution. I did made new solution using the following:

1.) Half liter of my aquarium water

a.) my water contains right/recommended dosage of Seachem Flourish for plant fertilizer.

b.) at this point, the concentration in water will not be exact since the plants may have already used some of them.

c.) we can speculate that the water has some reasonable trace amount of nitrate in it (my test says zero otherwise).

d.) we can speculate that the water has some significant concentration of organic junk for carbon and nitrogen sources from decomposed food and organic matter.

2.) 1 tsp of table sugar

I mixed the solution. This time, I added one scoop of Bacter AE to each bottle. This is not really necessary. But to increase the growth rate, I decided to add more bacteria and food in the solution. I combined this solution to my old solution. After five days, the bottles are already pressurized. You can see the solution a bit yellowish/orange color compare to the second picture above. Also, you see in the attachment how much biofilm is in the solution, which is pretty impressive. In addition, you can see that the solution is alive - meaning that there are bacteria inside creating gas(ses). My hypothesis is that this is mixture of carbon dioxide and nitrogen gas. Carbon dioxide were produce when the environment was still closed to aerobe. Nitrogen gas starts to form when the environment depleted of oxygen and the environment gets closed to anaerobe. The video does not show, but the bubbles are forming on the bio bale. I have not observe this much bubbles before. That said, I can conclude that bio bale helps biofilm production.

I also changed my feeding process. After reading more papers, I realized that this solution would have lots of by-products that I definitely don't want in my tank like acetate and 2,3-butanediol. These will not decomposed unless a different type/strain of bacteria use them. I did an experiment using my old solution. I took the biofilms under the bottom of the container and transfer it to a different container (cleaned small coke bottle). After the biofilms settled down on the bottom of the container, I carefully removed the solution. I washed out the biofilms using RO water. This took time because the biofilms suspend on the water and need to settle down on the bottom. I removed the solution out. I did this again. After that, the solution must have been either free of these unwanted chemicals or at least diluted them. I fed them to my shrimps.

Even with these positive results, I don't believe that I have achieve my goal. I am a bit greedy indeed. I will wait for couple of weeks and see improvement.