Sign in to follow this  
AquaticShrimpNoob

Heat Waste from Electrical Equipment

Hi Everyone,

I recently did some calculations on heat waste produce by my light and water pump and I am not impressed. See the calculations below:

415416849_ScreenShot2018-12-20at9_52_29PM.thumb.png.ed256830fc41d611528547ab564215cd.png

1402664711_ScreenShot2018-12-20at9_53_18PM.thumb.png.9e5b9e6ccfb824359ee3187a5c5ed687.png

I did lots of assumption here. I also don't take the possibility that I have made some mistakes. But I think this is sufficient enough to convince me to do some modification. Clearly, my LED light and water pump add heat to the water, which increases my water temperature. In addition, there is no such thing as perfect insulator. That said, there is still heat transfer from surrounding to my tank. 

I am thinking of adding a small fan to my water pump or submerge the pump under water and let evaporative cooling cool the pump. I am also thinking of modifying my canopy so that the back surface of my LED light is exposed to the outside for convection. I may add some sort of metal plate or heat sink just to enhance the heat transfer.

Anyways, I just want to report this just in case some one might ask. 

Sincerely,

AquaticShrimpNoob

Hey, those 2 elements alone provide more than enough heat for my indoor tanks.  None have a heater & my shrimp appear to do better with that.  In my setups, the magnetic impeller driven water filter generates the heat waste...

It seems like I was able to remove my water pump as possible source of heat waste. I just submerge the pump in a container with water and my aquarium water barely change temperature through the course of the day. We will see how effective this is in the summer. For now, I think my biggest challenge is my freaking LED light. I need to engineer it to enhance heat transfer. BTW, yes, I was able to observe the LED light effect on my aquarium temperature.

I’m confused by your LED heat waste calculation. I’m probably misunderstanding but are you assuming that 20% of the LEDs power draw is converted to heat in the water? Why?