Detritius Worms in Cycling Tank

Robertshrimpguy

Hey all, hope everyone is doing well. 

About 2 weeks ago I started up my second shrimp tank. The tank is currently going through a fishless cycle. There is a massive population of detritius worms, and it gets worse every day. There is no fish or shrimp to create waste so I'm assuming they're thriving off of something in my ADA Aquasoil. 

The tank still has a long time to cycle as the ADA required the first week of tank set up to consist of huge daily water changes to reduce cloudyness. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on how to get rid of or at least reduce the numbers of these worms. I see a lot of people say to feed less and do water changes and they'll go away mostly on their own. However, they're growing in numbers every day and since it's fishless obviously I'm not putting any food in there. Any advice would help greatly. Thank you!

Water parameters if it helps: 

Amon: 2

Trite: 0

Trate: 3

Gh: 1

Kh: 0

TDS: 40

I would assume the worms are eating something, so they'll eventually eat it all up and then die of starvation.

You could just leave them until you're ready to stock the tank, then put in something like cory catfish for a while--any bottom feeder that likes worms should be happy to eat most of them for you. Or you could see if shrimp like to eat them. Or you could just leave them, since they shouldn't actually bother shrimp anyway.

I like having such worms in my own tanks, because they convert detritus into live food for fish, and because I like to watch them wiggling around-- but I know not everyone enjoys that :)