Tank cycle and ADA, wild params

Hey all, I've been lurking for quite some time now and after seeing so many healthy shrimp around here, I decided to set up my own 10 gal shrimp-only tank 'bout 2 weeks ago. I used about 8l of ADA Amazonia fine and reg 50/50 and planted a healthy amount of low tech plants. This is my first freshwater planted tank and first time keeping shrimp, I come from the reef side of the hobby. I finally picked up an API "master test kit" and tested to see where I stand in this fishless cycle.

I started with a 100% w/c after 24hrs, another 100% 24hrs later then a 50% w/c 24hrs after that and the tank has been cruising along undisturbed since then. I tried this method after reading Shrimp Farm's suggested method (since then I have seen/read ADA's recommended tactic of the month long w/c schedule). My current params for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate seem a bit excessive so I  was looking for some advice. The tank is currently planted with no livestock and I'm not sure whether I should leave the tank until nitrites and ammonia are undetectable or do a massive w/c or a few smaller ones to bring down some of the levels, especially nitrate. I'm really in no hurry and I want the tank to be very well cycled and matured before I add any livestock, I'm just very confused how these numbers are so high!

My eyes see ammonia at 2-4ppm, nitrite at 2ppm, nitrate somewhere between 40 and 80... did my best for a clear shot.

I'd really appreciate any and all advice!

IMG_4432.jpg

Personally, I would do another 100% water change.  If you really used 8l of soil, that's a lot more than I use.  I can start 3-4 10 gallon tanks with a 9l bag, so that might explain why your levels are so high.

11 hours ago, rhoagland said:

Personally, I would do another 100% water change.  If you really used 8l of soil, that's a lot more than I use.  I can start 3-4 10 gallon tanks with a 9l bag, so that might explain why your levels are so high.

Sorry, I mis-spoke. I used 6l, to achieve a 2" depth. not much less but I'll carry out another water change and see if that helps.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

i suggest that  ammonia at 2-4 ppm is fine and should  build up  the population  of ammonia decomposing bacteria. ada, in my experience, keeps leaching ammonia for about 6 weeks so need to be patient, ..safest strategy seems to be to be prepared to wait for  2 months, i would  not do anymore water changes until  ammonia and nitrite drop to  undetectable, then a large water chance to  wash out the nitrate

and start  stocking

fastest why to cycle your tank. 

go get someone's established tank canister filter

undergravel will make the ada soil last longer

I through my crs cbs the next day.  I wouldn't try Taiwan bee's or any sensitive shrimp.

For babies to survive you will need green algae on the glass.  That way you know there is algae on the rocks/soil for them.

Gets lots of plants.

On 10/28/2019 at 10:39 PM, turok said:

fastest why to cycle your tank. 

go get someone's established tank canister filter

undergravel will make the ada soil last longer

I through my crs cbs the next day.  I wouldn't try Taiwan bee's or any sensitive shrimp.

For babies to survive you will need green algae on the glass.  That way you know there is algae on the rocks/soil for them.

Gets lots of plants.

there is no fast way to cycle ADA Amazonia,as other have said it leeches ammonia for a long time. It will be about 2 months minimum before its ready.