PBL in neo parameters?

Mino

Not typically, no.  And those aren't typical Neo parameters TBH.  

I've got CRS that do fine in Neo Parameters (gH8-9, kH 4-5, pH 7-7.8)

Can you describe your setup?  What kind of substrate?  Are you using Remineralized RO or Tap Water?  Etc...

On 4/8/2019 at 5:26 AM, wyzazz said:

Not typically, no.  And those aren't typical Neo parameters TBH.  

I've got CRS that do fine in Neo Parameters (gH8-9, kH 4-5, pH 7-7.8)

Can you describe your setup?  What kind of substrate?  Are you using Remineralized RO or Tap Water?  Etc...

Hi! thanks for the reply. I have a 8 gallon cube heavily planted with co2 running, and the substrate I’m using is UNS controsoil. I’m currently using RO remineralized with sera salt which is basically like salty shrimp. 

1 hour ago, Mino said:

Hi! thanks for the reply. I have a 8 gallon cube heavily planted with co2 running, and the substrate I’m using is UNS controsoil. I’m currently using RO remineralized with sera salt which is basically like salty shrimp. 

Thanks for the extra info @Mino!  Do you have a link to the remineralizer you are using?  if you have a kH of 3 then you are likely going to see your soil exhaust pretty prematurely.  Using an Active Substrate like Controsoil, you should be utilizing a gH only remineralizer and your gH should only be 0-1 at most.  

The danger in all of this is that you'll have pH swings.  Once that soil exhausts the pH will swing up rapidly, more rapidly than shrimp can typically tolerate.  

How long has this tank been up and running out of curiosity?  

1 hour ago, wyzazz said:

Thanks for the extra info @Mino!  Do you have a link to the remineralizer you are using?  if you have a kH of 3 then you are likely going to see your soil exhaust pretty prematurely.  Using an Active Substrate like Controsoil, you should be utilizing a gH only remineralizer and your gH should only be 0-1 at most.  

The danger in all of this is that you'll have pH swings.  Once that soil exhausts the pH will swing up rapidly, more rapidly than shrimp can typically tolerate.  

How long has this tank been up and running out of curiosity?  

Sure thing here’s the link 

https://www.sera.de/en/product/freshwater-aquarium/sera-shrimp-mineral-salt/

it’s a mineral that doesn’t alter the kh just the gh. The tank has been running for 6 months now since I set it up in October. 

9 minutes ago, Mino said:

Sure thing here’s the link 

https://www.sera.de/en/product/freshwater-aquarium/sera-shrimp-mineral-salt/

it’s a mineral that doesn’t alter the kh just the gh. The tank has been running for 6 months now since I set it up in October. 

If it only raises gH, why do you have kH in your water?  You should have no kH vs the 3kH you mentioned above?  I'm assuming your RO water is coming out at 0TDS, 0kH, 0gH as it should be.  

Is something in your aquarium leeching kH into the water?  

44 minutes ago, wyzazz said:

If it only raises gH, why do you have kH in your water?  You should have no kH vs the 3kH you mentioned above?  I'm assuming your RO water is coming out at 0TDS, 0kH, 0gH as it should be.  

Is something in your aquarium leeching kH into the water?  

I actually have a small piece of cuttlefish bone in my aquarium for the snails to graze on could this raise my kh? I also did a 25% water change this morning and my test showed that my gh is now at 6 and kh at 2. 

2 hours ago, Mino said:

I actually have a small piece of cuttlefish bone in my aquarium for the snails to graze on could this raise my kh? I also did a 25% water change this morning and my test showed that my gh is now at 6 and kh at 2. 

Cuttlebone won't raise kH, it only provides a bit of calcium.  Did you do a water change with straight RO water?  What kind of rocks do you have in your tank?  Seriyu Stone is known to leech minerals and raise TDS/kH.  

3 hours ago, wyzazz said:

Cuttlebone won't raise kH, it only provides a bit of calcium.  Did you do a water change with straight RO water?  What kind of rocks do you have in your tank?  Seriyu Stone is known to leech minerals and raise TDS/kH.  

Yup I did a water change with straight ro to bring down my tds. I do have some quarts in the tank as small decoration should I take it out anyways? 

• 3 weeks later...

I thought cuttlebone raised both GH and KH. Isnt cuttlebone calcium carbonate?

Just now, OblongShrimp said:

I thought cuttlebone raised both GH and KH. Isnt cuttlebone calcium carbonate?

It is indeed CaCO3, but I don't think it's very water soluable. 

I took some and put it in a bucket with RO water for a week & got no TDS, gH or kH changes.  I'll pick up some more the next time I'm out and give it an extended test.  I'll report back if I get anything different than my previous experience.