ADA Amazonia and Low PH

I have very low PH with ADA Amazonia soil. The tank, substrate, filter, etc is new (only 21 days old).

But my PH runs around 6.0. And I'm using CO2 injection. Frequent water changes doesn't help much, as the soil buffers the PH back to 6.

Is it okay to have shrimps at PH6? I want to keep Red Cherry and some Amano shrimps, but I heard that they will struggle at such low PH.

I've already had 3 shrimp deaths (out of 4) - but I attribute that to new tank syndrome.

Or should I increase the PH, and if so, how do I increase the PH? I don't want to use chemical based as Amazonia will just buffer it down to PH6 again.

for those of you using ADA Amazonia, what's your PH and how do you control it?

Thanks.

The shrimp you are keeping don't require an active substrate or that low of a ph, after 21 day's I'd be willing to bet the Amazonia is still leaching ammonia.

The shrimp you are keeping don't require an active substrate or that low of a ph, after 21 day's I'd be willing to bet the Amazonia is still leaching ammonia.

thats my guess 21 days... way to early for shrimps.

Thanks, so it seems 21 days is too early. I'm willing to wait a couple of more weeks.

Ammonia and Nitrite is zero - has been zero since day 14. Yes, I seeded the filtration media with bacteria.

The issue I'm facing is PH swings. And I'm really looking forward to ADA Amazonia bumping the PH up a couple of notches in a few weeks time.

The moment I inject CO2, the PH can drops until 5.0. The plants would be having a party, but the shrimps may suffer with the low PH.

Thanks, so it seems 21 days is too early. I'm willing to wait a couple of more weeks.

Ammonia and Nitrite is zero - has been zero since day 14. Yes, I seeded the filtration media with bacteria.

The issue I'm facing is PH swings. And I'm really looking forward to ADA Amazonia bumping the PH up a couple of notches in a few weeks time.

The moment I inject CO2, the PH can drops until 5.0. The plants would be having a party, but the shrimps may suffer with the low PH.

Your problem is not the ADA Amazonia, we all know that the Aquasoil will buffer at around 6.5. On top of that buffering of your Aquasoil you are injecting CO2, how are you injecting, pressurized/DIY/etc, and what are you ppm levels at? This would contribute to your reduced PH, from there we can figure a solution to your swings.

It's perfect for CRS. I kept my CRS at pH5.8-6.4

if you want to keep RCS, then use pool sand instead.

I made mistake couple years ago to keep RCS with Amazonia. at begenning, it's fine and produce lots peewees but over time die off completely.

when you use Amazonia, it buffers water and lower the GH/KH, make the water softer, if inject CO2 without enough buffer in the water, pH may drop dramatically. I will stop inject CO2 in this case unless you use pH controller to controll the pH level.