Outdoor shrimp tank

Pokeshrimp

Anyone keep an outside shrimp tank? I'll be moving to Central California soon and will be temporarily living at my in laws so I don't want to set up anything too permanent just a basic 40b with just a sponge filter. I plan to keep then in the corner of the porch away from sun and put a top to keep out any critters. I'll probably drop frozen water bottles if the temp starts to get higher than 80f. 

The tank will be housing some basic red cherries. Nothing fancy just a colony from the first shrimp I got 4 years ago. 

I do tubs outdoors in the summer in NE Ohio, using Mosquito Netting over the tops to keep undesirables out.  My only concern would be the heat in a glass tank.  Not sure if that concern is warranted or not as I've never done a tank outdoors.  

22 hours ago, Pokeshrimp said:

Anyone keep an outside shrimp tank? I'll be moving to Central California soon and will be temporarily living at my in laws so I don't want to set up anything too permanent just a basic 40b with just a sponge filter. I plan to keep then in the corner of the porch away from sun and put a top to keep out any critters. I'll probably drop frozen water bottles if the temp starts to get higher than 80f. 

The tank will be housing some basic red cherries. Nothing fancy just a colony from the first shrimp I got 4 years ago. 

Grant has a greenhouse w/tons of tubs. Maybe check out his journal or fb.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to keep a brackish 10 gallon outside here in Irvine Ca. It housed the Hawaiian Red shrimp called Opae Ula. The temps in the summer would get into the high 80's. I had a cover that shaded the tank fall off and the temps that day ran 96. Not good but all the shrimp survived. In the winter I keep it heated  at 78. I meant to put the tank in my garage but kept putting it off. until this happened.This pass winter my daughter unplugged the heater to use the socket. She did plug it back in but didn't push the plug all the way in. The heater was off for 3-4 days and temps in the 40's at night. All the shrimp were on the bottom of the tank on their sides but were still pink or red. Just not moving. I noticed some did move but very little. Plugged the heater back. When I checked the tank a few hours later there was more movement. By the next day all the shrimp were swimming about. Decided that I was lucky not take any more chances. I moved the tank inside the garage. As much as I wanted the additional tank outside the temps were just too high or inconsistent for breeding. I was lucky they didn't die the first time. 

• 1 month later...

The biggest problem keeping them outside is dragonfly nymphs.  I have keep them in phoenix during the summer with water temps in the 90s and in new mexico when we get ice on the surface during the winter.  As long as you keep out the insects you should be ok.  These were in tanks that were 150+ gallons so the changes in temp were slow.  If you are doing something like a 40gal glass tank I would make sure it doesnt get direct sun because it may cause the temp to swing too much.

• 2 months later...

The tank survived through the California summer. The tank got as high as 84 degrees some days and the shrimp didn't seem to mind. Winters in the central valley are supposed to be fairly cold but if they were able to survive Winters in Albuquerque they should be fine here. 

@vorteil Currently just fire reds.  If they do well I plan on doing others.  When I was in phoenix I did about half a dozen different neo variants outside.   

• 1 month later...

Used to live in Central/Northern California, and while I never kept shrimp outdoors I did keep a variety of salamanders and snails. What I can tell you is that mosquitoes will lay lots of eggs on your water, even if it's not brackish, if you don't put mosquito netting over everything VERY securely. I learned this the hard way early on in my organism housing when I drove off my neighbor's cat due to the sheer volume of skeeters produced by one tank.

Pros: No cats eating salamanders in your backyard

Cons: No salamanders either

Congrats on working it out with your shrimp!

• 4 weeks later...

I used to keep ten gallon tanks outside in Southern California. I kept a fan on the water surface on warm days. I never had mosquito issues, but I had air filters in the tanks which caused surface agitation. It worked for me, it just wasn’t preferable because of the heating issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk