Soothing Shrimp's Silly Shrimping

Soothing Shrimp

Awesome! What do you do with excess shrimp? One would think eventually tanks would over run.

-Chris

The offspring from a couple generations back are often sold so I can maintain my shrimp/tanks.

My Nessies are still off limits because I'm trying for numbers so I can cull for better quality soon.  For them, I just need as many as possible.  They throw anywhere from low grade green cherries to high grade painted dark green. 

There are a couple different strains of green neos currently being introduced by other people, some not even breeding true.  BUT as far as I know- I'm the only one in the world who has developed a strain like this with green pigment and 99.9% true.

I want a aqua blue neo, your nessies seems to have somewhat of that color. Yup pretty sure I want the number 1 spot once you start selling them lol.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I hate catching my fish in a planted tank.... its always a mess... I took some tetras out of my 29 gal and by the time I was done there were plants all over the floor and I was screaming at the fish and threatening them with the toilet lol

Derek

Yea, I'm not looking forward to having to catch all my shrimp, maybe a few babies by then, and 7 Ottos when I transfer everything to the 15 gallon... and now with the tank sale coming up...

• 2 weeks later...

Yea, I'm not looking forward to having to catch all my shrimp, maybe a few babies by then, and 7 Ottos when I transfer everything to the 15 gallon... and now with the tank sale coming up...

Lol multiple tanks is easier to justify when the tsnk is only 20$ lol. I think they do it just to sell,tanks to serious hobbyists. they know we won't pay full price!

-Chris

• 4 weeks later...

Soothing, this thread was a great read! I just love your sapphires!

I am a little surprised that you keep all of your (different grade) nessies in the same tank. I understand your breeding for numbers over color quality, but I have read that when kept together like that, neos typically revert to the lower grade. Have you found that to be true?

Glad you are enjoying the thread. Hopefully it is inspiring you as well! :)

Well, to be honest, I do cull some in that tank- but only the absolute worst that show very little green at all.  Almost 100% of the culls are males.

Do I find they revert back to the lowest form?  Not really.  Let me use this analogy:

Someone has a red cherry shrimp colony.  Avg poor quality, but likes his colony very much.  He wants to bump up his color a bit on his shrimp though, so he buys some pfr and places them in to breed with his colony.  The colony is not going to turn pfr. however the "color" added will help the colony bump up to sakura- and if lucky a couple fire reds.  When he has enough of the higher quality, he can separate them and work from there.

Now take the analogy above, and apply it to my Nessies, and you see what I'm doing. heh

This color of Nessie is stable.  After a zillion years, they are throwing 99.9% green.  It is the grade of color that is unstable now. 

So knowing that, why not just put the highest grades together?  Painteds do not necessarily equal painteds.  Also, if I were to take all the painteds (probably less than 10 in total), and place them together- a tragedy may wipe them all out.  In this colony breeding, not only am I slowly creating more painteds, but increasing general color and all the while the gene pool is still wide enough to keep vigor.  Plus, if anyone decides on owning Nessies next August, the genes and modifiers allow random PAINTED Nessies to still pop up.

You are correct though, that very soon- I'll have enough to separate a few out and concentrate on grades.  My absolute favorite is the Fire Nessie.  See right through the green shell and through the body.  Looks very stained glass window.  However, I know many people like the thicker concentration of color.  Painted Nessies -you cannot see through the color.  The Painted Nessies are so dark they look blackish unless under high light or flash.  Some people prefer that though. *shrugs* Different likes for different people.  Sakuras can be Fire Sakura or Painted Sakura.

So here is what I have found so far:

The Golden Nessie- the body is orangish/gold while green hood or stripes are on the shell.  A two colored shrimp.  I think a line of Golden Hooded Nessies would look cool, but others would have to work on that. heh

Cherry Nessies

Sakura Fire Nessie

Fire Nessie

Sakura Painted Nessie

Painted Nessie

As much as I would love to devote all my effort to Nessies and grades, I think it would be very unfair (and selfish) in the shrimping world to keep this new var for myself.  So despite how many I have, I'll be releasing a very limited number Aug 2015.  Hobbyists can either leave them to breed randomly for a variety of qualities in their tanks, or selectively breed them for the quality they desire.

---

You know what's funny though?  It doesn't matter how many years working on this strain, how many generations it has taken to breed them true, how many dollars put into developing them, how much blood and sweat put into them, and how many tears with trials-set backs- and tragedies with them.  When offered, people will still write and flame that they are too expensive for neos.  heh

As I tell people who want to get into selective breeding, this is the thankless part of the hobby.  You will work for years and spend money on a project that may not work out.  You will be accused of lying, and your final product will be "counterfeited."  YOU will be forgotten while your product may live on, the name changed, or be lost due to fad or fashion.  In the end, you have only your reflection to turn to and ask- Is it worth it?  Am I proud of what I have done?  Am I honest?  And the only way you will find the strength to continue what you love to do is if you can look yourself in your reflection's eye and say, "Yes!"  :rock:

Some have tried to get me to export out of the country- which I won't do at this time.  Nothing like getting overseas people anxious to get US shrimp. LOL

Maybe I *should* start a list....I'd want no deposit, though, in case something unforeseen happens.

What's everybody's thoughts on this?  Fair?  Unfair?