Hydra problem in 4 gallon CRS tank

kubism

I'm currently keeping 15 CRS in a 4 gallon rimless tank, with a sponge filter. The shrimps has been in the tank for about a month now, and they are all healthy / molted a few times. ph is about 6.5, TDS 150

So.. being a noob, I made the mistake of over feeding my shrimps. ( Shrimp dinner / ebi dama almost every night )  I noticed there were some weird things attaching themselves on the sponge filter, and this morning when I took a closer look, I realized I had a nice colony of hydras in my tank near / on the sponge filter. 

I'm wondering what my options are for getting rid of the hydras. I don't have another cycled tank ready, so I can't move all the shrimps out and start over. I read on the forums that you can use panacur / spixi snails to get rid of them.  I was wondering if it must be the panacur brand ? or could be any dewormer found in petco / petsmart. I prefer to just pick something up in the store instead of having to order something online. 

http://www.petco.com/product/105336/8-in-1-safe-guard-4-Canine-Dewormer.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch

I plan on using just a very very small amount, something like 1/10th of whats in the 1g pouch.

If anyone has had experience with this, please let me know. 

Thanks ! 

0.1gram Fendendazole powder for 10G. so you need 0.04gram powder for your tank.

You can buy Paracure from Amazon. it's 1 gram pack each.

Even you can try 0.02 gram powder first. 

Yes, it's same thing as Para-Cure.

I put it in a small tea bag, and place it in filter for a week.

you don't want to dump it into the tank, no way you can clean up later.

This is the best I've found: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.Xfish+bendazole&_nkw=fish+bendazole&_sacat=0

.1g for a tenner.  Turn light off first day since it degrades in light.  Repeat after 3 days if needed.  WC 3 days after 2nd dose if needed

Do you have any nerite snails in the tank? Be aware they are sensitive fenben, I would remove them prior to medicating the tank. Even after water changes and filtering with carbon to remove any residual medication, I found that nerites wont last long in the tank.

This is the best I've found: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.Xfish+bendazole&_nkw=fish+bendazole&_sacat=0

.1g for a tenner.  Turn light off first day since it degrades in light.  Repeat after 3 days if needed.  WC 3 days after 2nd dose if needed

Hi Soothing Shrimp..... be careful about this particular product because it's pure fenbendazole from the description. The .1 gram / 10G dosage was based on the dog dewormer version which is only 22.2%. So in theory, this aquarium version (100%) should be 0.022 gram / 10G.

I appreciate the heads up.  I've used it several times, and haven't had any probs with it. :)

I've used panacure many times and only had one bad experience, although I'm not 100% sure it was due to the medication.

Right now, half of my tanks have hydras and I've been trying to ignore them. Babies are still growing up but I think I must have lost a few. I will get this one and give it another try.

I don't have any snails in the tank at the moment, but after the hydras are gone I'll probably add some in to eat up extra foods that are left over. 

I'll go with the dog dewormer option, and just use something like .04g or less in a tea bag. Just wondering, does the medicine dissolve in the water eventually? or do they stay in granules / powder form  ?

I don't have any snails in the tank at the moment, but after the hydras are gone I'll probably add some in to eat up extra foods that are left over. 

I'll go with the dog dewormer option, and just use something like .04g or less in a tea bag. Just wondering, does the medicine dissolve in the water eventually? or do they stay in granules / powder form  ?

It's very hard to dissolve, that's why I suggest to put it in a tea bag, so you could remove it completely after the treatment.

I use HOB:

post-231-0-07149500-1409944272_thumb.jpg

post-231-0-16536200-1409944283_thumb.jpg

post-231-0-08138800-1409944291_thumb.jpg

Thankfully (knock on wood) I haven't had this issue yet. But if you had a sizable population of pond snails and MTS, would a fenbendazole treatment cause a huge die-off and ammonia/nitrate spike? Do you try to remove a bunch of those guys before treatment, even if you don't necessarily want to save them all?

Last night I used the petco baught dog dewormer that had the same 22 % fenbendazole as panacur, and used a small knife point amount inside a tea bag, placed it near the filter, and turned off the light. 

This morning, I noticed most of the hydras that were on the sponge filter were either gone, or balled up. All of my CRS are alive and doing well. 

I plan on leaving the meds in for a little bit longer ( another day or two )  to make sure I kill off as much hydra as possible, then I'll do a 10% water change to start getting rid of whatever lingering medication thats left in the water. 

Not sure if it really matters, but the TDS went up by 1 from 150 to 151. 

Overall a successful treatment of hydras so far !  :D

• 2 months later...