Sulawesi Golden Crown Shrimp Breeding Project

Steve R.

Berried Sulawesi Golden Crown Shrimp (Caridina Sulawesi)

I have been trying to breed yellow and blue Caridina sulawesi (Sualwesi crown shrimp) lines for some time now, but they were not very stable. Lately things look more promising. Most of the offspring from two bluish females and two bluish males showed nice yellow coloration (!) on their heads. Yesterday, I discovered the first berried female from the new generation. The eggs are green and turn black as they mature. Interestingly, the males show a bluish coloration, as you can see on the picture. I am curious to see if this is a real sexual dimorphism. I hope the other females will get berried soon so that I will have a good stock for further selection.

post-245-0-24704000-1418237798_thumb.png

post-245-0-35897100-1418237816_thumb.png

post-245-0-94661200-1418237824_thumb.png

http://youtu.be/jrXRlnUcPf8

I don't think I have heard of that species before.

Parameters for this tank are: pH = 7.6. TDS = 360, Temp: 25˚C.

I have other colonies at pH = 6.5, TDS and Temp the same.

I describe the species briefly in this thread:

http://www.shrimpspot.com/index.php?/topic/1122-sulawesi-shrimp-collection/

Yes, the yellow ones don't have a pattern. I only ones with a light pattern if they are blueish. Hard to stay what percentage is patterned, maybe 20%. Most of them have weak patterns, but once in a while there is one with a very strong pattern. I will keep this journal updated once the eggs hatched and the shrimplets are big enough to show their color/pattern.

Where did you originally get your shrimp from?  I just don't know if I have seen these available before.

I tried ordering from there these shrimp before, but they were not packed well and all died in transit.  (why the heck would one strap a heat pack on the OUTSIDE of a styro box in winter?!?)

Anyway, the business replied fast after I contacted them a bit upset and sent a refund with apology, so I can't hold too much of a grudge against them.  heh

Looks like Steve has done wonders with these shrimp.  Bravo for being a pioneer in this!  And let me know when you are ready to sell some off. 

ah ok I knew Mustafa sold something like that.

As far as I remember, the packaging was good. Shrimps arrived in good condition. I got 20 shrimplets that were very small. They grew fast and it took about 3 months until the first ones were berried. Mustafa was right when he talked about the great potential that these shrimps have for selective breeding.

• 1 month later...

Here is an update on this breeding project.

I have about 10 juveniles in this tank. About 25 adults. Five females are currently berried. Most males are blueish to blue, one is yellowish. Most females show yellow color, one is bluish (picture lower left).

I try to keep the population growing and then try to stabilize the colors and maybe select for more intense blue and golden variants. Let's see if the the new born males will also tend to be blue and the females yellow. Would be very interesting.

post-245-0-61630600-1423605187_thumb.png

• 2 months later...

Project is moving forward. Breeding is kind of slow. But there are four berried females and 2 released their babies recently. Some of the shrimplets show some blue hue. Likelly that the blue will get more intense.

post-245-0-56049700-1430057235_thumb.png