Sochting Oxydator, anyone have a review for this product??

It is possible the top wasn't totally secured.  My mini is lasting about a week but it is at 83 degrees.  My D size is lasting about a month at sup 70 temps.

I am selling both the Sochting Oxydators and the Hydrogen Peroxide.  I just got my new shipment in yesterday.

THis is the first I have heard of such a product. Why would you need this? If you run air filters the surface agitation gets plenty of oxygen in the water. Have you seen any tangible benefits to using one of these?

My reason for making this post was to truly understand first hand results from this product.  Initially I said the same thing about using an air filter to get oxygen into the water, but to my understanding this does it more efficiently. 

The gaseous exchange takes place at the surface so anything that agitates the surface is helpful, not sure I'd bother with one of these tho - seems like a lot of work and cost for little improvement - I have a small internal filter with a venturi line that adds loads of bubbles and agitates the water surface.

I am using them in my tanks. With one catalyst I get about three weeks out of one refill of the fluid from the mini. I saw them in the European tanks and I think they have improved my overall tank health. The breakdown of organic matter seems to have increased. I have noticed a big increase in shrimp activity. Especially in nano tanks I feel that one of these may greatly improve the conditions. I have no way of testing this but I have noticed more stable parameters when doing regular water testing. I also seem to keep tds more stable. I haven't changed anything else and have tried to have fewer wcs due to berried shrimp. I plan to keep using mine and have the larger ones for my new tanks. For the cost of a shrimp they give me peace of mind.

How are you guys getting a few weeks out of mini when I only get 1 week maximum???  :startle:

The more catalyst you use the faster it will be split into water and oxygen. You said you were using 2 catalysts and I believe the minis are supposed to use half of one.

You use one of the two tiny catalysts that come with the mini to get approx. three weeks.  If you buy the catalysts (Shrimp Tank) then you are supposed to break it in half as the ones for the larger units are much larger.  I don't half the tiny catalyst though.

Here is a link if you want to make your own solution.  You need to use food grade H2O2. www.aquariumoxygenator.com

Doesn't look like it copied live link...but just enter that site address.

Here's Littlebirdie's info from that site:

"Make-Your-Own" Solution:

Here's a link to information and a source where you can purchase the proper ("food") grade of 35% Hydrogen Peroxide -- which you must "dilute" with pure distilled water to achieve the desired concentration as follows:

1 part
 35% Hydrogen Peroxide to
6 parts
 distilled water yields the recommended 6% solution.

For example:
1/4 cup
of 35% Hydrogen Peroxide plus
1 1/2 cups 
of distilled water =
1 3/4 cups
of 6% Hydrogen Peroxide.

A 1-to-2 ratio of 35% Hydrogen Peroxide to distilled water would yield an 18% Hydrogen Peroxide solution.

A 1-to-3 ratio of 35% Hydrogen Peroxide to distilled water would yield a 12% Hydrogen Peroxide solution.

Thus you can adjust the % Hydrogen Peroxide as desired to accommodate the rate at which oxygen is dispensed into the aquarium.

As of 8/22/09, you can purchase 1 quart of food grade 35% Hydrogen Peroxide for $21.83 plus $9.33 shipping.  They also sell pints and gallons, but don't forget -- you're diluting that 35% Hydrogen Peroxide by a factor of 6-to-1, so 1 quart of 35% Hydrogen Peroxide yields 1 3/4 gallons of 6% Hydrogen Peroxide.

It all seems a little unnecessary to me :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like many things in the shrimping hobby, the oxydator is more of an "if you have extra income" item. Folks have been doing fine without it (I recall the exact moment when FW shrimpers discovered this item due to the YouTube vid with some guy name Tom) and suspect folks will continue to be fine without it. It was really hard to get initially until Will brought it back and made it available in NA.

I don't think there's evidence indicating that it does or does not work. It's a precaution item.

I'm pretty lazy so Id imagine it's a lot of hassle to swap out regularly and if you have multiple tanks (like many of us) it can get really expensive really fast. Really up to you though. If you have hundred shrimps it wouldn't hurt to drop a few more dollars for the oxydator but if you're keeping neos (master survivors as I like to call them) you'd probably be fine without.

That said, has anyone had an accidental leak? The opposite effect can happen if there's a leak (imagine overdosing h2o2 and in this case a higher concentration) into a shrimp tank. Overdose in fish tanks is sufficient to kill fish, I can't imagine what would happen in shrimp only tanks.

Like many things in the shrimping hobby, the oxydator is more of an "if you have extra income" item. Folks have been doing fine without it (I recall the exact moment when FW shrimpers discovered this item due to the YouTube vid with some guy name Tom) and suspect folks will continue to be fine without it. It was really hard to get initially until Will brought it back and made it available in NA.

I don't think there's evidence indicating that it does or does not work. It's a precaution item.

I'm pretty lazy so Id imagine it's a lot of hassle to swap out regularly and if you have multiple tanks (like many of us) it can get really expensive really fast. Really up to you though. If you have hundred shrimps it wouldn't hurt to drop a few more dollars for the oxydator but if you're keeping neos (master survivors as I like to call them) you'd probably be fine without.

That said, has anyone had an accidental leak? The opposite effect can happen if there's a leak (imagine overdosing h2o2 and in this case a higher concentration) into a shrimp tank. Overdose in fish tanks is sufficient to kill fish, I can't imagine what would happen in shrimp only tanks.

Can't say I ever had a leak but I used the exact same H2O2 solution (6%) to treat my tanks for bacteria infections;  I use approx. 1ml per gallon daily for 2 weeks without any issues and it has been fairly effective in that regards for that.  I remember someone saying you have to dose it daily as it dissipates and doesn't stay in the water past 24hr.

I believe the capacity of the mini is 15ml so even if that leak in, say a 15/20 gallon tank, that is no more than my daily dosage when treating bacterial infections.

I think situation has a lot to do with it, I don't use sponge or have any air stones. My filters provide little surface agitation. So for me it seemed worth it. Not justifying just providing that perspective.

Shrimping is funny though because there are many things that cost far more for shrimp than otherwise.

Food- there are so many that are so expensive per gram. especially if you read what is in them. U can make many of them for pennies.

Mystery rocks and life balls.

Beneficial bacteria- disclaimer I bought glasgarten but it pained me. There are so many strains not included in that mix and amino acids and the two strains included are pennies if u know where to find them.

Leaves - seriously why am I buying leaf litter. I mean if u live in a tree desert fine.

Shrimp nets- why to prevent damage to your investment. A small fish net is a dollar at LFS. A specific shrimp net is like 15 or more.

Back to the topic of this potentially useful/less item. I think like much of the above items I agree with ShrimpFan its a precaution, one you buy for peace of mind. One thing that did irritate me about this purchase was if you read "how fast it works" is affected by the oxygen saturation of the water. So higher temp would me lower saturation this exhaust faster. It does not explain how it meters this or to what saturation it brings things to. I wished there was a chart with curves, that one would expect as data garnered during development.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 11 months later...

I've had DIY oxygenators on all of my tanks during blackouts. Never used one consistantly, but if you're really curious how extra oxygen will affect your aquarium, you can make one with a plastic bottle, extra airline tubing, an airstone or diffuser, a bit of lead plant weight, and some H2O2 solution. Better yet, it's not inside your tank and if you use a check valve or bubble checker, there is no risk of accidentally dumping peroxide into your shrimp tank... That likely wouldn't end well, though I've never had that problem and have always made my own. 

Here's a link to the instructions for a simple one: http://www.coloradoaquarium.org/pics/oxy.html