Shrimp Photography Pointer/ Skill/ Tip Sharing

Shrimpy Daddy

Hi all,

Quite a number of us own an interchangeable lens camera and even a macro lens. But not everyone is able to obtain beautiful shrimp photograph. This got nothing to do with your photography skill. It is more of taking shrimp photo requires different technique, setting and /or equipment that are different from normal photography.

As such, I am starting this thread for everyone who would like advise from other fellow members on how to improve on the shrimp photography. In this way, all the experts in shrimp photography will be able to provide you some pointers, tips or tricks. :D

If you would like to have some advise, please post the following information:

• What camera are you using?
  • Which lens are you using?
  • Are you using any extension tube or magnifying adapter/ filter?
  • What kind of lighting are you using? For example, tank light only, flashlight (how many and what type of diffuser), strobe light, continuous light, etc.
  • Are you using tripod? If yes, what is the brand and model?
  • Tank size and glass thickness.
  • One of best shrimp pictures you had taken so far.
  • State the Shutter Speed, Aperture (F Stop) and ISO of the photo.
  • What challenge are you facing?

P.S.: This thread is dedicated for interchangeable lens camera. Sorry to phone camera folks. ;)

Cheers.
Shrimpy Daddy

Great idea, I hope this can help me.

I have a Canon 5D Mark III and 1DX at my disposal.

I am in the market for a new macro lens, recently sold an EF 100mm f/2.8L a Macro IS USM.

No adapters were used in the past.

I was only using tank lights but I can set up strobes with parabolic umbrellas, soft boxes or even a beauty dish.

I have 2 tanks at the moment, ADA 60-H (45) which has 8mm glass and a custom 35 gallon with 10mm glass.

Thanks,

Ron

Great idea, I hope this can help me.

I have a Canon 5D Mark III and 1DX at my disposal.

I am in the market for a new macro lens, recently sold an EF 100mm f/2.8L a Macro IS USM.

No adapters were used in the past.

I was only using tank lights but I can set up strobes with parabolic umbrellas, soft boxes or even a beauty dish.

I have 2 tanks at the moment, ADA 60-H (45) which has 8mm glass and a custom 35 gallon with 10mm glass.

Thanks,

Ron

To my experience, soft box, umbrellas, beauty dish is out of question.

I use couple DIY light box, soft box, the lighting is very even, but lack of contrast.

Finally I found the monolight with reflector is the best for shrimp macro photography.

if you use strobe, no modifier is need.

Couple tricks I learnt over years.

1, keep lens vertical to front glass, any angle would degrade your photo quality.

2, only took macro photo when shrimp is very close to front glass, if shrimp is at back of the tank, you won't get  any sharp macro photo due to water.

To my experience, soft box, umbrellas, beauty dish is out of question.

I use couple DIY light box, soft box, the lighting is very even, but lack of contrast.

Finally I found the monolight with reflector is the best for shrimp macro photography.

if you use strobe, no modifier is need.

By any chance you are using Elinchrom?

I tried Elinchrom before and it works. But it is better for larger tank, especially shooting whole tank.

Couple tricks I learnt over years.

1, keep lens vertical to front glass, any angle would degrade your photo quality.

2, only took macro photo when shrimp is very close to front glass, if shrimp is at back of the tank, you won't get  any sharp macro photo due to water.

+1 :D

These two pointers are the basic 101 of shooting aquarium. The most will be tilt the camera downward by less than 10 degree. The thicker the glass and the lower quality the glass, the more vertical it has to be.

In order to prevent tilting the camera to obtain line, all my tanks have sloped substrate. With slope substrate, you will be able to shoot easily with total vertical line of sight. ;)

By any chance you are using Elinchrom?

I tried Elinchrom before and it works. But it is better for larger tank, especially shooting whole tank.

No, I use White Lightning.

I have UltraZap 1600 and UltraZap 800.