Algae - I hate it, shrimp love it

Crazyfishlady

Since I can only seem to kill snails in my snowball tank... the algae has been growing on the glass. I have given in and 'cleaned' it from the front so I can see. It drives me bonkers and feels like I have a 'dirty tank' BUT - the snowball babies LOVE it and are constantly grazing all over it.

Pics are blurry - because of course- the camera can't focus through the algae. I was counting snowball babies (or trying to) this morning and got up to about 60. They range from juvies to tiny dots, lol

So, I'm trying to suck it up and just cope with the algae since it seems to be providing the babies with a lot of biofilm.

Is this bad to do for any reason? Is it ok to just let it be? 

post-507-0-56857800-1425143534_thumb.jpg

post-507-0-24612100-1425143535_thumb.jpg

post-507-0-31909900-1425143536_thumb.jpg

For me that is a hallmark of a well "seeded" tank and a pretty good balance as far as lighting goes.  i only clean the front glass so i see inside, the rest i leave from my baby shrimps : ) 

Ok, so I guess I was able to get over the 'ewww' factor of leaving the molts in there for them to eat, now I'll get over the algae and just keep the front clean so I can actually see them. lol

It's like a bunch of little cows grazing, kinda cute now that I know it isn't bad

Moo cows! Moooooo.

I'd say that if the babies like it, then you may as well leave it for them. I generally have a mix of diatoms and green algae (usually referred to as "green dust algae") and never quite get them to go away.