hydra post

I had to deal with hydra in my tank just a couple of weeks ago and it was almost right after one of my shrimps had babies too.

I used some No Planaria and it cleared up the hydra for me. It also seems to have killed off the trumpet snails I had in there too so be careful to anyone treating for hydra.

Ya I've been seeing some of these guys around lately I've been removing them with a little pipet.

Problem is, if you have some you see, there are 10x the amount you don't see.  :(

Some people use No Planaria with good results.  I'm gunshy since I've read too many times of young shrimp deaths.  I've used Fenben myself.  Works every time, with 0 deaths for me of my shrimp.

Regardless of which type of med for your tank you use, it's important to use it to save young shrimp.

I had a cool water tank with gold minnows and a few random shrimp (my very first - no idea what I was doing at the time). I got hydras in there..a long with a lot of other bad stuff (TOD) I tried the fenben and it didn't work (for me).  The no planaria finally wiped them out but both can and will kill most snails.

Sadly I lost everything in that tank (due to multiple issues) but three of the random shrimp were the only survivors, lol... granted they weren't young 

Just found some of that in my tank, here a pic of it.. This is Hydra right? Found in my tank's bushes

5153d72578526d6da6b21901dc317bc0.jpg

No more bushes in my tank >.<

.... wait, It actually lived in my sponge filter's sponge too ... what the. Where can I get those No Planaria

I'm sure someone will chime in with No Planaria.   Best to have someone with experience answer that one.

I use fishbenzadole (fenben) on the rare occasions I get hydra.  For planaria it is recommended 100mg per 10 gallons, but for hydra I use half the dose.  It take a little longer for the hydra to show effects, but it still works fine.  Remember that is degrades in light, so turn the light off for the first day or so.  Take out any nerites or mystery snails because besides hydra and planaria, those are affected too..

http://www.theshrimptank.com/pest-disease-control/fish-bendazole/

I got the no planaria on ebay. Yes, that is a hydra. They are actually from the jelly fish family.. cool in their own right but not in a tank with shrimp. They did sting my minnows when I had them... saw it happen a few times.

The no planaria worked, killed the pest snails though. But that tank was my first cool water tank and I was buying plants from all over via the internet. I ended up with too many problems at the same time.

I just scooped tank water, put a tiny bit of NP in the cup, swished it around and dumped it into the tank. I took all media out of the HOB while dosing. 

With all of the other issues I had my limited experience is hard to declare since... like I said... my TOD was one horror after another

I did what I did before I knew anything - I researched like crazy but didn't have an awesome forum like this to ask  - do you take the media out of any filters when you dose? I still have my NP tucked away, does it 'go bad'?

And... maybe it's for another thread, but what is the best way to treat incoming plants to help reduce all the nasties that seem able to sneak in on them?

So I got the fenbenz yesterday used it on my ten g and my 20g tb. Before I went to work I poped the lights on real quick to check on everything, and for the first time in my tb tank I have 3 dead shrimp and one dieing wine panda and some green colored michilings that were cbs. I had to go to work so I fear the worse when k get home. Lost my favorite oebt